Viper 5901 remote start not staying on

Here we go again... I just had my truck in the shop for a PCM reflash, t-stat replacement, t-stat sensor replacement and inspection and now my remote start is not working. They had to disconnect the battery because they pulled the alternator to get to where my thermostat is and they left my vehicle without power for a full day from what they told me. When i had them flash the required PCM updates to my truck (2004 GMC Envoy) they had a ton of problems because of what they said was to blame on the remote start. They said that the PCM was not learning all the sensors on the truck because it was seeing the remote starter being connected to the trucks data line. They got around this by disconnecting what they said was the purple/white connector under my dash. Now they didnt tell me if that was the one coming off the 5901 brain or the one off the steering column.

Here is the run through of my problem when i try to remote start:

1.) I press the remote start button on my remote

2.) The remote start sequence will start and the key fob will show the remote start icon indicating the command was received and is in progress.

3.) I can hear the relay under the dashboard that is connected to the remote start click on and the engine will crank. Also the idatalink module flashes green during the remote start sequence which from what the idatalink site describes means that it is correctly programmed and operational.

4.) The engine will crank and start but will only stay started for 1 second and shut down.

5.) The dashboard lights flash once (no parking/headlamp lights flash, just the light that illuminate the cluster gauges and the other gauges and stuff in the truck)

6.) The engine runs through another remote start sequence and step 3-5 are repeated 2 times before the remote start sequence is aborted.

7.) After 3 consecutive times of trying to start and stopping via remote start the 2 way remote will show the message of "Remote Start Error" but the parking lights do not flash at all nor does the status led on the transponder.

What could be causing this problem? I first thought maybe it was the idatalink module that forgot what vehicle it was programmed to and did not know how to bypass the security built into my truck from the factory but it flashes green to signify it is setup properly. I then thought maybe i need to perform a tach learn on the 5901 brain but i didnt want to play with that without getting help from someone on here. Everything else on the 5901 is functional. The alarm features and lock/unlock are no problems at all.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Thank you SMD experts.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Update: I solved the problem though i am concerned its fixed due to the anti-grind feature that my truck comes with stock. What i did was go into the programming mode by holding the command button after i turned the key on and off then went to menu 3, option 2: engine checking mode. It was set to virtual tach before i went to that menu so i then put it to OFF and now it starts up and stays running. I had it on for over 2 minutes every time i remote started it and it stayed running, did not flash any lights for errors and it didnt try to re-engage the starter so it seems to be just fine. My only concern is that by me disabling the engine checking mode that it does not truly know the truck is running off remote start. I havent had it running longer than 2 minutes as of yet as i did it at work on my break and would prefer to be with the truck for the first part of testing it to make sure nothing erratic happens to it. Does anyone think this would be just fine how i have it? It does not over or under crank the engine at all. As soon as the engine catches it dis-engages the starter as it would if i started it with my key in the ignition.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

That is fine

Sounds like you just needed to program tach.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Sounded like a tach issue

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13
-------------------------------------------------------------------

my remote start has a tach learn feature also but i never did it because it doesnt over or undercrank...... its been fine for about a year

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

Heres the thing though, i dont think it actually learned the tach. It was getting dark outside and with being at work i didnt feel like taking the bottom panel out of my dash to check the wiring but im wondering if my mechanic never truly put that purple/white wire back on the tach line. I tried to perform the tach relearn procedure by how it is indicated in the install manual the 5901 came with... Start the vehicle with the key, within 5 seconds press and hold the control button, after 3 seconds the status light should illuminate constant then i can release the control button. I did that and it never illuminated the led and i even waited longer than 3 seconds.

Do you think i need to have the virtual tach reset on this by performing the procedure of opening the door>turn the key to on> press and release the control button one time>press and release the control button 4 times>continue to hold the control button to reset the virtual tach.

When i went into the checking mode it was originally setup for virtual tach but i then changed it to off and thats how i got it to run and stay running.

Also, if the tach wire (h2/9 violet/white) was disconnected, what wire does that connect to on my 04 envoy just incase i cannot find the t-tap that the shop i had install it is not there anymore?

As always thanks a ton for your help guys, i appreciate it and dont want to take it all on myself for fear of breaking something on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Purple/white should be tach. There is a tach wire under that dash but if you don't know how to test for it leave it or take it to a shop that can. Otherwise that vehicle has an anti grind setup from the factory so leaving it how it is won't hurt anything but may not always start for you. The rs will just assume the vehicle has started every time. That's fine unless it dosent then you are just leaving the ign on till it either run times out or you get out there to start it with the key.

My suggestion is take it to a shop to have tach hooked back up then reprogrammed for tach.

if you feel brave enough the white wire in the instrument cluster plug is your tach

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

The problem was corrected. I just switched it from being set to virtual tach to off. Then i switched it back to virtual tach and performed the tach delete and re-learn procedure and it worked just fine off virtual tach. Took a whole 10 minutes in the parking lot at work to fix lol.

Archived