Second Skin Audio

question about isobaric loading

jbiddle.com

so quick question when running and isobaric loaded enclosure it says size may be cut in half but what would happen if you ran the full size enclosure say 3 cubes ported to 30hz with isobaric loaded 12s? what would this accomplish or hurt

Head Unit -- Alpine CDA-9887

Mids and highs -- 2 Crescendo PWX-8's

4 Crescendo PWX-6's

4 Crescendo FT-1 Super tweeters

Mids and Highs amps -- 2 Alpine V12 MRV-F545

Subs -- TBD

Sub amp -- Crescendo Bass Cleff BC2000.

Sub Box -- Ported box 9 cubic foot tuned to 37hz for 2 15 with 140 inch port area

Processor - Alpine imprint

Isobaric is not actually an enclosure type but a woofer loading method. Isobaric loading can be used in conjunction with any of the enclosure types, except perhaps infinite baffle. Isobaric loading consists of two woofers coupled together by a short enclosure which is only long enough to prevent the two woofers from striking one another. The woofers may be mounted face to face, back to back or front to back. However it is important to have the woofers firing in phase with one another. In order to accomplish this with the woofers firing front to front or back to back one of the woofers speaker leads must be reversed with respect to the other woofer.

Isobaric loading is usually used when space is at a premium or a maximum number of woofers wish to be used in a certain volume of space. By isobarically loading the woofers, a box of only half the size of a one woofer box is needed. For example, if a 12" woofer requires a two cubic foot box, the same 12" woofer isobarically loaded only requires a one cubic foot box. The cost of this design, other than doubling the woofer cost, is a reduction in the subwoofer system efficiency by three decibels (if both woofers are given the same power as a single woofer), which is equivalent to halving the amplifier power.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I would've thought that isobaric would increase the efficiency, rather than reducing it, since there's two motors helping each other out.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

so quick question when running and isobaric loaded enclosure it says size may be cut in half but what would happen if you ran the full size enclosure say 3 cubes ported to 30hz with isobaric loaded 12s? what would this accomplish or hurt

To answer your question:

You will cause your sub to bottom out. Same as if you put a single 12 in a box twice as large as it is designed to be in (assuming you are running it at RMS power). This problem would be exaggerated under tuning point. I have smoked the @#$% out of a pair of tens like that, but it was for scientific purposes so its OK. :D

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

I would've thought that isobaric would increase the efficiency, rather than reducing it, since there's two motors helping each other out.

You are loosing efficiency compared to traditionally loading the two drivers due to 1/2 the cone area moving air. Loading isobaric would be potentially "louder" than a single drive application due to the increased power handling (instead of 1 drive @ 500wrms you now have 2 @ 500wrms = 1000wrms - for example).

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

i was thinking isobaric loaded 6th order for two jl 12w3v3 for my 240sx hatchback. how would i acomplish this?? any ideas

4 Crescendo PWX-6's

Subs -- TBD

Sub Box -- Ported box 9 cubic foot tuned to 37hz for 2 15 with 140 inch port area

so i cant run 2 12s iso in 2 cubes safely

4 Crescendo PWX-6's

Subs -- TBD

I'm running 2 10s in a push/pull ISO setup and they sound amazing in 1.5 cubes tuned to 33Hz. The one sub is ASS out inverted and the other is in the box. I have a 3/4" MDF ring between the two in order to seal them. The enclosure I have is efficient as can be and these low power handling 10s sound amazing and get loud.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived