Second Skin Audio

Where are the best places to experiment with 45 degree corners, what sizes should i start with?

AllanLuberda

so explain how you're gaining any strenght by adding them to the strongest part of the box? And did you miss the part where I said many people saw no gain OR a loss? I mean I guess that would probably be my argument for not doing it at all. All a 45 is doing is creating 2 angles instead of one taking up enclosure volume since most people dont know how to calculate for it and further complicating the build process. but whta do I know. Im not the guy on youtube trying to show people how to install. Im just some random guy whos been a part of this hobby for going on 17 years or so now.

Ahh, I read it as no gain OR loss. Missed that "a". I dont think it is that hard to account for though as you can view it as a cube volume then simply divide by two. Well I guess this argument shows its a preference thing. I will continue to do it, but to each his own!

And jeez man I wasn't trying to insult your knowledge! Sorry that it came across that way! Just trying to share what I have learned with the masses!

well, it's not really preference. testing shows they either don't do anything, or make it worse. Although I guess that can be your preference.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

LMAO!!! 45's help air flow hahahhahahaha

1 a box does not create air flow like water flow air does not "flow" out of your box a sub moves back and forth very violently sucking and push air example take a bottle of water that is half full and shake the shit out of it back and forth and look what is happening to the water basicaly the same as what air does in a box its not "flowing" so your better air flow argument is invalid

2 as a old hardcore compititor i have tested and built more boxes and theories than i can remeber... 45's anywhere in the box 99.9% no matter of size killed spl up to a few DBs and thats a lot

3 45's do not add strength the corner of te box is the strongest point

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

so explain how you're gaining any strenght by adding them to the strongest part of the box? And did you miss the part where I said many people saw no gain OR a loss? I mean I guess that would probably be my argument for not doing it at all. All a 45 is doing is creating 2 angles instead of one taking up enclosure volume since most people dont know how to calculate for it and further complicating the build process. but whta do I know. Im not the guy on youtube trying to show people how to install. Im just some random guy whos been a part of this hobby for going on 17 years or so now.

Ahh, I read it as no gain OR loss. Missed that "a". I dont think it is that hard to account for though as you can view it as a cube volume then simply divide by two. Well I guess this argument shows its a preference thing. I will continue to do it, but to each his own!

And jeez man I wasn't trying to insult your knowledge! Sorry that it came across that way! Just trying to share what I have learned with the masses!

well, it's not really preference. testing shows they either don't do anything, or make it worse. Although I guess that can be your preference.

Has anyone documented this testing? If so can I please see the thread?

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

I think the corner that the port fires on is a good spot to start?

How much can people gain by adding them

Its not like it is going to be ten times louder or anything but here's the thing. Adding a 45 is soooooo easy you would be silly not to add it. It is so disheartening to see people rush through box builds trying to skip steps. Take your time and add those 45's! If not everywhere within the box at the very least you should have them up the port. Or even better KERF the port. (Check my sig)

i lost from 45s in the corners, same everything, just a box with 45s....

45s suck assssss

In all my testing, just throwing random 45s in in corners has always hurt.

Angles strategically placed can help, sometimes. But you have to test to get the correct angle and test to find the correct locations.

45s only became popular because they are the easiest. In my mind, they are a lazy way to add an angle and it is cutting corners, literally.

If you want to do it right, try many angles vs no angles vs roundovers of various radius.

I came up with a great interior shape once, and it had about 30 different angles in it, and some were negative angles. Took 3 months of testing and only got me to 150.4 with 2 12" MTX 9500s on 1200w ea.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

alpine, is a 45 in the corner of the port to maintain the proper width worth worrying about?

not in my testing my loudest boxes has allways been a basic ass square corner box with bracing and all thread > all other bracing as well

there was the .01 percent of the boxes it the 45's did help but was only like a tenth or 2 nothing to write home about lol

best thing to do in audio tho is to test it yourself i would put money on the 45 near the port not helping at all but as you know in audio nothing is 100% right or true when dealing with as many varibles that we have

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

LMAO!!! 45's help air flow hahahhahahaha

1 a box does not create air flow like water flow air does not "flow" out of your box a sub moves back and forth very violently sucking and push air example take a bottle of water that is half full and shake the shit out of it back and forth and look what is happening to the water basicaly the same as what air does in a box its not "flowing" so your better air flow argument is invalid

2 as a old hardcore compititor i have tested and built more boxes and theories than i can remeber... 45's anywhere in the box 99.9% no matter of size killed spl up to a few DBs and thats a lot

3 45's do not add strength the corner of te box is the strongest point

1) I understand that the air is moving in and out of the box, not just out. But that's the thing, it is in fact pushing and pulling in and out of the box. So any method that does in fact improve the fluid flow of air will in fact improve the efficiency of the enclosure.

2) Yes "killing SPL by a few DB's" is "a lot" but I am curious to see the proof, has anyone done a side by side test, one box with 45's and one without (with the one without being built to the same exact net volume?) Again, don't take this the wrong way, I just think it would be an interesting test for someone to do. I'm sure you know what you are talking about, but I think it is more advantageous for people on the forum to see documented proof rather than: "45's don't work, don't use them".

3) 45's will add strength to the enclosure! Don't get me wrong, bracing across the enclosure is far more effective, but adding any sort of "truss" between two structures that are at a 90 degree angle will definitely add strength.

-Mark

Forum.png

alpine, is a 45 in the corner of the port to maintain the proper width worth worrying about?

best thing to do in audio tho is to test it yourself i would put money on the 45 near the port not helping at all but as you know in audio nothing is 100% right or true when dealing with as many varibles that we have

Couldn't agree more!

-Mark

Forum.png

Archived