Is there any benefit to shielded speaker wire?

wellington

It could protect the wire as well from bare metal, but you can do that with techflex for alot cheaper, just like SQ master Scott Buwalda did

picsView-of-one-example-of-all-wires-properly-protected-in-the-vehicle%E2%80%99s-installation.-This-view-is-from-underneath-the-rear-seat-where-the-seat-acts-as-the-fuse-protection-when-installed.png

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

For the "True Audiophile" system ... You do what it takes to prevent ANY unwanted signals, especially if that unwanted signal may have been amplified ...

Plus ... back then in competition, protected cables (matching the RCAs to Signal cables) made for great install points !!! Just like the ones that took the trouble to match their headunit lighting to their dash cluster lighting :detail:

Something I have planned for my truck ... but, .................... You know how it is

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

in fact, I do have my Sub wires done that way ... M1A Monster Cable !!!

Wish I had more for the rest of the system ... But not easy to get

26203460046_large.jpg

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

I dont think you would really notice the noise in an unshielded speaker wire because the speaker wire is not necessarily going to be amplified again after it leaves the amp. You notice noise in unshielded rca's and stuff because the amp takes ANY noise that lies on that rca input and amplifies the crap out of it for the output of the amplifier. Because you are not really amplifying the output on your amp to the speakers again unshielded speaker wires are not prone to being as sensitive as rca/speaker inputs that are about to be amplified. Now this is not to say that shielded speaker wire is not needed because if you have it then use it but one thing to keep in mind is that the more you strip back the wires outer coating and the foil shielding, the more noise you can introduce onto that line because it will give more areas that are unprotected from RFI noise.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

It could protect the wire as well from bare metal, but you can do that with techflex for alot cheaper, just like SQ master Scott Buwalda did

picsView-of-one-example-of-all-wires-properly-protected-in-the-vehicle%E2%80%99s-installation.-This-view-is-from-underneath-the-rear-seat-where-the-seat-acts-as-the-fuse-protection-when-installed.png

Do you have any more pics of that install? Making me rethink my entire setup wiring.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Do you have any more pics of that install? Making me rethink my entire setup wiring.

http://nobodybeatshybrid.net/scott-buwalda/

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

http://nobodybeatshybrid.net/scott-buwalda/

Wow thank you for the link. Liked everything and got a ton of ideas, but find it odd how he added the "contributes to the safety and servicability" to every aspect of the install.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Attention to Details

Im 100% sure you won't notice it in your car. But if it's that cheap, why not? It looks interesting.

RCA's are a lot more important because the voltage going through them are alot lower, which makes it more prone to introducing noise and because the amp will amplify the noise.

Amplifiers don't remove noise, they just amplify it.(well atleast not the amps that most people use.)

I even doubt you'll even notice it in a SQ car.(atleast if the RCA's are well shielded and installed correctly.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived