Sonic Electronix

My First Sub =) And I Got A Few Questions

alright i just opened my new Fi Q 12 and i got to say it is an amazing feeling openin something you've been waiting for for so long. i even snuck out to UPS cause for some reason they couldn't deliver it. But i have a few questions cause they dint include and real paperwork with the sub.

1) does it need to be worn in and if so for how long

2) in 3/4 MDF what should i use to mount it ( i have the 2" coarse thread screws i used in buildin the box.

3) what do you guys think of green outdoor grass type carpet for the enclosure haha =)

thanks for any help

1996 Mercury Sable Stationwagon

- Infinity Kappa 682.7 cf's front and back

- Alpine Pdx-4.100

- Hifonics Txi 1008D

- Fi 12" Q, ported at 33Hz

- Kicker distribution hardware

- (1) Kicker 4 gauge run

Plans....

- Sound Processor (Rockford 3sixty.2 or MTX)

- Dynamat

- another Fi Q 12

- H/O alternator

- Aftermarket Headunit

- Component set for upfront

1) some people feel like they need to break subs in and others just pound on them immediately. i would go easy for a few days at least before you open it up for any length of time...and u will probably smell some excess glue burning off that coil b/c i did when i installed one, but dont worry, it will go away.

2) those screws should work fine

3) hell no! ...lol

i likes me some audio stuff...

i break mine in just for security purposes. i feel safer if i do lol. but just for a few days to a week. and i didnt know that about the glue. i think i read it somewhere but forgot. i smelled a smell at first but yeah it's gone now. cranked up for long periods, no smell, no warm components

When I do installs I usually blast the hell out of them to make sure everything is going smoothly, because the customer isnt always audio-related and all hes gonna do is blast them as soon as he drives off so I gotta make sure hes gonna be happy.

So, blast it of and tune it at full blast?

What's the proper way to "breaking in" a sub anyway?

Do you play it at low volumes for 1 to 1 week and then retune and play it at louder volumes?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

So, blast it of and tune it at full blast?

What's the proper way to "breaking in" a sub anyway?

Do you play it at low volumes for 1 to 1 week and then retune and play it at louder volumes?

Usually after all your tuning is done gradually increase the volume week by week, id say about a week & a half of driving you should be set.