Poor bass from doors

djunified

Hello all,

The problem that I have is an interesting but frustrating problem that i am having. The problem is that i can't get decent bass output from my front doors. I am talking about frequencies about 100hz and below. Specifically songs that have a bass pattern with a frequency in the 70 hz range.

My quest for bass from my speakers all started when I heard the systems of some of my friends. Such systems include a 10th gen Mitsubishi Lancer with the Rockford Fosgate enhanced sound system. My friend played a song called Basshead by Far East Movement and the door panel made my hand numb no joke. The next system was a 2012 Jetta with the Fender sound system. This one wasn't as punchy as the Lancer, but still gave enough bass through the doors to suit my desires. Another system was the Bose system a 2008 Altima.

Heck even my mom's car which is a 1998 Mystique with the Ford Premium Sound System and a set of JBL GTO 6x8's has much better bass output.

So all that being said, this is my system:

Car: 1999 Mercury Sable

Front Door Speakers

Precision Power Pm.654 6.5 Midrange Woofers

Rear Deck Speakers:

Rockford Fosgate R165 Full Range Coaxials

Speaker Amplifier:

Dual XPA4100 600w Peak 4-Channel

Headunit:

Factory Ford ICP (Cannot replace due to integration)

IMG_0006_1.jpg

Picture of my dynamatted door panels:

IMG_0043_2.jpg

Subwoofer amp:

Crunch PZA1200.4 600w RMS running with 2 bridged channels

Subs:

Two Pioneer TS-W309S4 Single 4-Ohm 300w RMS

So you saw what my mids and highs consist of. At first I thought i might have something to do with my factory headunit and how it might be cutting the bass. If that was the case, how do i get gut wrenching bass from my 2 pioneer 12's in the trunk? Surely it isn't the source then. I even proved myself on that one by hooking up a spare clarion deck I had laying around to my speaker amp. The bass output was still poor. My next thought was maybe its the cheap Dual amp that i have hooked up to the speakers. Well how can an amplifier affect the output? Its taking in the signal from the radio and amplifying it to make it cleaner and louder. I don't think it has any DSP features that will reconstruct the signal. All it has is a simple crossover that is set to full range.

The only two remaining causes are the speakers themselves, or the simple fact of poor door dynamics. I bought these speakers because they were labelled as Midrange woofers, and that was what i was interested in. I bought them for $20 a piece to no avail. The next pair of speakers that i will try will be a set of MB quart onyx components. These speakers have nice PP cones and a crossover which just might do the trick.

mb-quart-onyx-6.5-component-onx216-629-p

Now my last suspicion is the door design itself. Even though I have dynamatted it, maybe the design is still so poor that it doesn't have enough potential to provide door bass.

Either way, my mind is running in circles trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Input is appreciated :)

I'd look into a processor or breaking down and buying an installation kit for a aftermarket HU. Or maybe your expectations from 6.5s are too high

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I was in fact looking into buying a processor such as a JL audio cleansweep which runs in the $200 range. Thats all I can afford, everything else is about $1000 such as the RF 3Sixty or even the JBL MS-8. The processor is the only way I can go as there is no aftermarket dash kit for this car. There is one for manual climate controls, but I have the fancy automatic setup which they never bothered producing a kit for. I suppose with some custom fab work anything is possible, but thats out of my league.

you can replace your head unit. Youjust have to buy the digital kit for it. or you can relocatey our head unit to your glove box. Im willing to bet thats a major part of your problem right there.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

If money is an issue, buy a preamp/eq and mount it under your dash. the Clarion EQS746 is pretty decent for $50 and has an aux input you can plug your phone/ipod into. Get a decent line out convert for your radio to go into the EQ if you care at all about FM quality

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

You do not have enought amplifier power on your doors ... Also, sounds like you do not have enought battery power feeding your amplifiers ... My wife has a 2002 Ford Taurus and even with the stock system installed, there is plenty of midbass in that car ...

If possible ... replace your headunit so you can get adequate RCAs running to your amps ... If anything, do like N8 said and have a second headunit installed ... Might be a good idea to replace your mids and highs amplifier if possible to a better quality amplifier ...

Please remember ... these are just suggestions.

Thanks ...

Randal

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

did you add sound deadener to the outer skin of the door panel or just the panel the speaker mounts to? you want to sound deaden the outer panel ... and did you roll the sound deadener on or just apply with your hands ? from the picture if looks like the sound deadener is just placed on and it is not conforming to the panel.

to get the best bass out of a door you need to stop the panel from moving and vibrating which cancels out sound.

did you add sound deadener to the outer skin of the door panel or just the panel the speaker mounts to? you want to sound deaden the outer panel ... and did you roll the sound deadener on or just apply with your hands ? from the picture if looks like the sound deadener is just placed on and it is not conforming to the panel.

to get the best bass out of a door you need to stop the panel from moving and vibrating which cancels out sound.

Yes I did apply sound deadener to both the inner and outer panels of the driver and passenger doors. I covered almost the entire panel with deadener. And at the same time, i used the specified roller along with a heat gun. Obviously i did the outer panel first, as I covered the large holes on the inner panel with sound deadener as shown in the picture. I was told that doing this with the dynamat would make the door act like an enclosure with no place for air to escape. I hope i did it right

Yes I did apply sound deadener to both the inner and outer panels of the driver and passenger doors. I covered almost the entire panel with deadener. And at the same time, i used the specified roller along with a heat gun. Obviously i did the outer panel first, as I covered the large holes on the inner panel with sound deadener as shown in the picture. I was told that doing this with the dynamat would make the door act like an enclosure with no place for air to escape. I hope i did it right
deadener is not the best thing to use to cover the holes but yes you did all that right ... in that case it sounds like what everyone else is saying ... the head unit

Archived