soldering or crimping

I solder becaue I have a torch and shit tons of solder in different sizes and different types..

beats spending 70-80 on a crimper.

^^^^ that

just practice soldering. it's a useful skill to have. just make sure the solder actually gets pulled into the wire, but don't get it too hot or it will run too far and go into the sheathing and you will have a very stiff wire.

If both done properly, there is no difference between crimp and solder, electrically speaking.

But that being said: I do find the crimp style lugs preferable to the solder style lugs. They are much beefier.

Crimping is a high investment cost, but the connections are easier and faster to make. Strip the wire, stick it in the terminal, pump the lever a few times. Done

Soldering is cheaper, but takes a bit of skill to learn it. And if you are doing LOTS of connections, it will take quite a bit of time too.

And while I'm thinking... Stay away from acid based flux or acid core solder.

IMO use solid core solder with rosin paste flux

I will say this: You can solder crimp terminals, but you cannot crimp solder terminals. Crimping works by applying so much pressure to the metal that it fuses - like welding. A "cold weld"

But, I've found that the brass terminals don't seem to bond too well with the copper in the wire. You'll just end up with a terminal that is squished on and held in place by friction. Wiggle it a couple times and the wire pulls right out.

My crimp lugs on the other hand? I could pull a car out of a ditch with it lol

Soldering crimp terminals just uses a bunch of solder. That's about all there is to it. You can find "solder pellets" to make the job easier too.

Here are what crimp lugs look like. They may also be silver in color. All that means is that they are tin plated to protect against corrosion

unplatedcopperlugs.jpg

And here's a solder-type terminal

0gaugesetof2term3016195.jpg

And while I'm thinking... Stay away from acid based flux or acid core solder.

IMO use solid core solder with rosin paste flux

I will say this: You can solder crimp terminals, but you cannot crimp solder terminals. Crimping works by applying so much pressure to the metal that it fuses - like welding. A "cold weld"

But, I've found that the brass terminals don't seem to bond too well with the copper in the wire. You'll just end up with a terminal that is squished on and held in place by friction. Wiggle it a couple times and the wire pulls right out.

My crimp lugs on the other hand? I could pull a car out of a ditch with it lol

Soldering crimp terminals just uses a bunch of solder. That's about all there is to it. You can find "solder pellets" to make the job easier too.

really? ive crimped a lot of those solder terminals and I've never been able to pull one out. even cut one in half after I crimped it to look at it.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

a friend of mine hit a tree with his car and the crimps i did (with a vice-grip) were still solid (i used the solder ones), he left the wire though because it was too much of a pain for what little the CCA cost him lol but now i know there's a place for each type :) i prefer the OFC crimp lugs anyways :)

Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152368-littlebuck1919s-feedback/#entry2177586

i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

6/18/82 - 4/17/12

R.I.P. to my sister Shana

really? ive crimped a lot of those solder terminals and I've never been able to pull one out. even cut one in half after I crimped it to look at it.

same here.

Here's a piece of scrap I put a terminal on to demonstrate.

first, hammer crimper I use

IMAG0453_zps358f35fb.jpg

IMAG0449_zpsb4de2c91.jpg

crimped

IMAG0450_zps1adc790e.jpg

soldered

IMAG0451_zps7bb31dfd.jpg

and cut in half

IMAG0452_zps393270b1.jpg

I tried pulling it out before cutting it up and it felt solid as a rock. Like I said earlier, not super pretty, but plenty functional. Nothing electrical tape and a sleeve won't cover up anyways.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

Archived