Second Skin Audio

Oak for enclosure?

ncochran

Went with mdf. Didn't realize the stuff at lowes was that poorly made. I checked out both the oak and birch plywood, and both were full of voids. Thanks for all your help. Am uploading some pics for a build log right now.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

a sheet of mdf only weights around 20lbs more than plywood.. just sayin :)

X 15 sheets like I need and that's an extra 300lbs in wood alone.

Not that I care, just saying

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If you have access to quality Ply then its worth it.

But in my area you have to drive 1hr+ each way to ge to a quality lumber yard.

If you don't then I would try to come up with a better design that uses more bracing/less wood.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

And for a second there, thought you were gonna make a box outta actual oak, which sounds expensive as hell, but would be cool.

That's what I thought lol. I was like hell yeah tuned in for that!

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

i can get my hands on oak pretty cheap... the problem is finding it wide enough to use without having to glue pieces together to get what you need..and solid oak is tough to work with and heavy as hell lol

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

Some people are willing to spend $80 a sheet for real birch, not me. People can say what they want but every box I've built using the home depot birch has been plenty strong

It all depends on your goals. There is an application for it, but for most people I believe it's overkill

Ok I see you point out the weight in multiple sheets.

so would 75$ per sheet X 15 = $1125

vs current mdf pricing at 33$ per sheet X 15 = $495

So is that 300lbs worth $630 extra for a quality baltic birch??

Thats just going by full sheet weight, which you never use every square inch of a said sheet.

I myself find me having lots of cut offs since I never use a factory edge on any piece of wood, and then you have those small narrow or short pieces that are too small to even make a 6.5inch speaker ring with.

Not to mention if your needing 15sheets, im sure your build is going to be in a larger suv or truck which should support said weight just fine. Granted gear is going to add more weight, but as it goes for any larger build you should properly improve your suspension, and brakes for the heavier load you will be hauling constantly. Just like you shouldnt roll 28inch rims and then roll around with completely stock weight, and say your stopping distance is not effected even tho you have 3-4times more rolling mass.

I built a bass reflect box out of baltic birch for a JL audio w6 YEARS A GO. I have to say the sound was alot better from baltic then any other that i have ever used. it was a ten and my boss in that day could hear me in NY city traffic 3 cars ahead of me. this was a single ten inch. I had three more i could hav put in but i didnt need to.

King dingalingIts not finished till i say so Bit@^!

Archived