Sundown Audio

will I notice a difference?

DylanBunch

Right now I have a btl n2 15 on 1500 watts and my next rebuild is gonna be the btl reconed to an 18" psi on either an aq2200 or crescendo bc2000d and im curious to know if itll be noticably louder. My friend went from 1400 to 2100 (hifonics watts) and I wasnt really impressed with the difference. Should I look into more power like a kicker 2500 or save the money and stay closer to 2k.

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I mean 800-1000 watts seems like a big jump but it seems like things start to plateau at 145-150db and its hard to get much louder without tons of cone area and power

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Why are you reconing? Is there a need? I've not tested the PSI recones on the N series but on the ufo slug, the PSI metered lower than just the fully loaded BTL.

On paper, 300 watts is generally the minimum required for an audible difference. Telling us he went from 1,400 to 2,100 hifonics watts isn't very specific either.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

And you gravely misunderstand how decibels are measured.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I mean 800-1000 watts seems like a big jump but it seems like things start to plateau at 145-150db and its hard to get much louder without tons of cone area and power

That's because sound is logarithmic, not linear.

Doubling power gives you +3dB

Doubling cone area +3dB

It's perceptive but +10dB is considered twice as loud.

Keep increasing these numbers and you can see that it gets extremely more complicated to keep getting louder.

Numbers above are theoretical and aren't perfect for every setup but its a baseline.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

That's because sound is logarithmic, not linear.

Doubling power gives you +3dB

Doubling cone area +3dB

It's perceptive but +10dB is considered twice as loud.

Keep increasing these numbers and you can see that it gets extremely more complicated to keep getting louder.

Numbers above are theoretical and aren't perfect for every setup but its a baseline.

Would sound more solid than much louder to the ear. Mean´s clearnes and controling in the sound of the sub.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

The greatest change may come from a different box and port combination with what you have for the least amount to invest in.

Reconing a working sub is not always a good option and may even be worse than what you have now.

I would post up some pictures and dimensions of the box and see if someone will design a proper box for your application and car, and then upgrade your amplifier to around 3k and you should have some improvements you will be happy with.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived