Parallel vs Series Charging

google ohms law and come back and read it again power(watts)=current(amps)xvoltage voltage/amps=resistance of the load.

I'm plenty familiar with ohms law. But unless it's something you understand, I don't think it's particularly helpful to OP. And I honestly think your analogy is a stretch at best. Plus it doesn't really answer OP's question :unknw:

google ohms law and come back and read it again power(watts)=current(amps)xvoltage voltage/amps=resistance of the load.

Op/question asker dont have much math/electrical background, your ohms law info probably wont help them right about now.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I've always wondered, what makes a battery bank of 12v batteries wired in series be able to charge at 24v or 26v just fine but if you wire it in parallel and try to charge the bank at 18v you'll have batteries ballooning and melting all over the place? nothing is changing internally as in the structure of the battery so what allows the charging voltage to change so drastically?

because when you wire batteries in parallel, you basically have one big 12v battery still.

when you wire in series, every battery you add to the mix double's the voltage. 3 12vdc Batts in series is not 12v anymore, it is 36v. You would need an appropriate charger for a 36v system, if you had something that could run off 36v. Hydraulics (you know front back, side-2-side) would be the only thing i can think of where you would do that, with a CAR.

just to be clear, voltage doesnt double with every battery added in series. that would mean that three 12v batteries in series would equal 48v instead of 36v.

sorry if that typo was corrected already. its late and i stopped reading lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Op/question asker dont have much math/electrical background, your ohms law info probably wont help them right about now.
Who said I don't have any math/electrical background? :)

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

I've always wondered, what makes a battery bank of 12v batteries wired in series be able to charge at 24v or 26v just fine but if you wire it in parallel and try to charge the bank at 18v you'll have batteries ballooning and melting all over the place? nothing is changing internally as in the structure of the battery so what allows the charging voltage to change so drastically?

because when you wire batteries in parallel, you basically have one big 12v battery still.

when you wire in series, every battery you add to the mix double's the voltage. 3 12vdc Batts in series is not 12v anymore, it is 36v. You would need an appropriate charger for a 36v system, if you had something that could run off 36v. Hydraulics (you know front back, side-2-side) would be the only thing i can think of where you would do that, with a CAR.

just to be clear, voltage doesnt double with every battery added in series. that would mean that three 12v batteries in series would equal 48v instead of 36v.

sorry if that typo was corrected already. its late and i stopped reading lol.

it wasn't a typo, it was just bad wording.

what i MEANT to say is, every battery you add to the mix brings it up another 12v (if you are using 12v batteries). OBVIOUSLY. 12, 24, 36, 48, 60.....so NOT DOUBLE, bad wording. I was looking at it from a perspective of someone just doing 2 in series, which WOULD double it.

funny thing is, i am probably the only person in this thread who has wired more then 10 group 31 batteries in series, and used them. I did 10 the first time i had hydraulics in the early 90's. I almost blew my hand off shorting out the last terminal when the wrench hit the body of the car while tightening the last terminal. I remember the Craftsmen wrench melted all the way through like i took a bite out of it. Something i will never forget. 10 is way to much for a pump anyway, i ended up dropping down to 8 batteries and did 4 per pump (in series). Still MAJORLY dangerous, but not as bad as 10 in series. True story, and a cool one too (since i had no permanent damage to myself). LOL

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

lol i did that on a brand new battery on an olds cutlass.... not the cool cutlass the newer ones...... they have a metal bar over the battery and had really no room in front for the side post terminals..... didnt have an 8 mm wrench on hand so i used a socket and the ratchet touched metal and welded it so the ratchet was toast..... ate a lil bit of the bite but nothing too crazy lol

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

So how do u change a 24v series bank? Like say a locomotive runs on 72v are those special batteries or what? How do u change a series bank of 12v batteries?

With deep pockets usually. 24v banks are used in marine applications a lot. But anything over 100 amps worth your time run an easy 1.5k.

Locomotive alternators are different, they are usually ac generating with a banks of diodes to give dc power if they need serious voltage for the power lines.

If it's just for things like lights and aux power it's usually a separate diesel generator making 74 volts which charges banks of 8 volt batteries in series.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Who said I don't have any math/electrical background? :)

Your questions did, so in this case "what".

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

When you wire batteries in series, you're not changing the voltage of each individual battery. If you wire the batteries in series, you can take a multimeter and place the probes across one of the batteries and will still only read 12 volts, whereas if you measured it across two batteries it would read 24 volts, or 36 volts if you measured it across three batteries. So the reason why batteries won't swell and gas when wired in series is because it's still effectively charging each individual battery at 12 volts; not 24, 36, 48, etc...

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Archived