eliminating background noise(hiss)

knubs

well i've got my system sounding pretty damn good. right now i've only got one complaint and it's about background noise. whenever i play a song there is a slight "ssssssssss" sound coming through the speakers with it. normally it's not noticeable because everything is so loud that it gets covered up, but when it gets to a calm spot in a song (gentle instrumental part or a light vocal part) i can hear that hiss. also when i pause a song i hear the hiss for 2 or 3 seconds after i pause then it goes away completely. it happens with any song on any source(mp3, cd, etc...). the hiss isn't that bad, but it annoys the hell out of me.

i would list my speakers and amp, but i've had the problem with my last speakers and last two 4ch amps as well. i'm not even sure how to start trouble shooting it.

oh, and my amps have been in different spots and same with all power wires so i don't think that it is interference between the power/speaker/rca wires

This could be caused from many different things.

Does the hiss change in pitch when you rev your engine? If it doesn't then it is most likely that you will need to upgrade your components to something with a higher S/N ration or high pre amp voltage. The noise you hear is back ground hiss that exists in most systems with lower S/N ratios. If you ever owned a tape deck (OLD SCHOOL I know) then you know what I am referring to.

Your gain could also be set to high. Your RCA's might also need to rerouted or better shielded from your factory electronics if the hiss changes pitch when revving your engine.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

it doesn't change when i rev the engine. it just gets proportionally louder with the volume. i've also replaced the rca's (for other reasons) and still have it. also the rca's are routed near no electrical. and my gains are all set with a dd1.

with the S/N ratio, are you talking about my head unit? if so my hu is a cheaper sony one. i've been looking for an excuse to upgrade for a while; i've always wondered what the actual benefit of a nicer hu actually was.

Use a different ground for your amp

Also try grounding the RCA in the back of the HU as well.

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Use a different ground for your amp

Also try grounding the RCA in the back of the HU as well.

If that does not work do you think a line driver might help?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Should never need to add something to cover it up. Fix the problem at the source.

Again to confirm you don't have anything running next to the power wire? This includes RCA and speaker wire

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

big three, additional batteries so your amp does not starve when trying to make power, grounds as short as possible and RCAs only on their path to the amplifiers ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

If you have ruled out the install then it sounds like noise floor. Basically it is the measure from the crap to the source material. every system has it. Better the system the greater the separation of noise to music. Playing a zero bit track will really make this issue stand out in a deck. The fact that it goes away when you pause is built into the deck it's self. Most decks will mute the output between tracks to hide their issue. You can do a couple changes to the RCA's and speaker wires to help this issue, but in reality, if it's at the source (Deck) then there isn't much that can be done to fix or hide the issue.

This is a basic pic of how to think about the noise floor. Think of the green line as your music, and the blue as the crap. All equipment creates crap. Some do a better job then others to separate the 2 so it's not as noticeable. This same idea goes into recording. The more you compress music files, the closer you bring the floor to the media.

fig3.png

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Will is one of those edumkaded skooz kidz dat lernts me some thangs or 2

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived