1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

If everything the guy is doing is right and he's certain the signal is clean why is the sub not being able to handled rated being ruled out? Seems like quite a few people have said tantric subs get hot and smelly on rated or just over rated power, which is exactly what he's experiencing but people wanna blame it on his electrical, box and music signal. I'm not trying to bash tantric here cause they're great sounding subs and seem to be in a lot of loud builds, I just feel I have enough evidence from builds I've seen to say they might not be able to handle rated power or they can but you have to be ultra conservative.

I dont know you but the guys name is gckless. Quite rude and disrespectful... Next thing is that I have heard No-one speak of tantric getting hot quickly unless there is some underlying issue. They do get the tantric smell due to the coils being coated. Lastly, I as well as MANY others can attest that tantric subs do more than rated on average. I personally was running 2 shd's on 20k....

true story. tantric coils brand new before even put into the subs have a smell. its a pretty distinct smell too. so even when you play them they make that smell. its just the coil and how he has them made. they smell like shit naturally haha. but trust me even if they are smelling that doesnt mean they are hot just means they stink lol. eventually the smell works its way out after you get the coil hot and let it cool off several times. just got to work the coil that way.

That's what I've been doin, letting it heat up, getting that smell, then letting it cool down. That smell really stings the nostrils lol. And I don't really smell it any more unless the coil is actually getting hot.

It sure would be killer at the b pillar.

I have yet to hear a B pillar I really like the sound of. They are loud, and might have the same bandwidth as a box farther away, but there's just something about them that I don't like. Wouldn't want one as a daily. Sure fun to sit in though.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I agree with your b pillar statement. The tonality just isn't there

Personally I love the way your box is.

I am very serious about giving it more power. I had a dd 3512 back in the day. It had a terrible smell and it would smack the backplate from time to time, it never died. To my knowledge it is still in use. If they built a good coil it will survive

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I am very serious about giving it more power. I had a dd 3512 back in the day. It had a terrible smell and it would smack the backplate from time to time, it never died. To my knowledge it is still in use. If they built a good coil it will survive

Here's why I'm nervous: I did those clamp tests a page or so back, and it was fine on around 1800W. Then I turned the volume up, gave it about 2800W, and that's where it got warm fairly quickly. I don't have a huge amount more real power to give it after rise, but there's a little.

I like this box too, but if it don't meet expectations, it's got to go. I'm mostly ok with it if I can unload it on CL.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

Here's why I'm nervous: I did those clamp tests a page or so back, and it was fine on around 1800W. Then I turned the volume up, gave it about 2800W, and that's where it got warm fairly quickly. I don't have a huge amount more real power to give it after rise, but there's a little.

I like this box too, but if it don't meet expectations, it's got to go. I'm mostly ok with it if I can unload it on CL.

selling a box for a 24? that will be impossible.

Better put a plug on it for an 18

Dude, fucking wang on that thing. $250 in this hobby is nothing if you do need a recoil, and if you're not going to wang on it then why did you get it? Run all the power you've got to it and see what she'll do. It's worth a recoil just to pull that beast apart. Your box is at the low end of specs, but within spec. You're not too close to the ceiling. Your electrical is solid. Your amp is bulletproof. If you can't wang on that sub then you got ripped off.

But that's just my opinion. I like to push shit to the limits.

Just let it play let it smell. I've seen smoke come out of people's ports and the subs still play just fine. At slamfest this year to be specific lol.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Seen the last replies before I went home, decided it might be worth a shot to see.

So on the ride home I played full tilt (no more than 2800W to the driver, and that's clean power) for about 60-90 seconds at a time between red lights (I turn down at red lights). Probably about 5-6 minutes of full tilt time with red lights in between to let it cool. Coil stunk about 3/4 of the way home, but pushed on. By the time I got home, the dustcap was hot enough to where I could only hold my hand on it for about 15-20 seconds before it got really uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm just being a vagina here, but that doesn't seem right to me.

I fully believe it's my enclosure/orientation/proximity to the roof, just space constraints, why this is having problems.

Archived