Second Skin Audio

So we broke the laws of physics last night...?

So I was wring up the subs in my cousins car last night (D4 AA Assassin 10's). He's got a RF Punch 400.2 so I was aiming for a 4 ohm load, series/parallel wiring on the subs etc.

I wired it up, then just decided to stick a meter on it to double check my final load. It read 1.2 ohms. Big wtf moment, checked each sub in series which read 2.x ohms. Then took all the wiring off, metered each coil, every one of them metered 4.1-4.3 ohms. I rewired and the same thing, 1.2 ohms final load. I used a battery on each coil to make sure they were all in phase/marked correctly. Everything was good. I then, for shits and giggles, wired them up series/series so I should've seen a 16 ohm load, and it read 2 ohms on the meter. At this point I was extremely frustrated, wired it up where the amp saw 2 ohms per channel and called it a night.

I'm no noob at this, have wired tons of dual voice coil subs and never had anything like this happen. I know DCR won't show nominal impedance, but 1.2 ohms on something that should be 4 ohms nominal? That seems extremely far from what it should read, considering I used the same meter, and checked another enclosure in my shop that was wired for 4 ohms and it showed 3.2 on the meter.

So either I'm crazy, stupid, or fuck physics?

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

f_113a9bea55.jpg

Yeah- I can't make that make sense either. You are talking about 2 subs, each with 2 4ohm voice coils, correct?

Like you said:

Series should have read 16 ohms nominal (4x4.2 = 16.8 maybe)

Series - Parallel should have read 4 ohms nominal (2x4.2 = 8.4 8.4 / 2 = 4.2)

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Sounds like a meter issue or a wiring issue.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

lets avoid logical reasoning and just blame it on magical invisible inductance from an unknown and invisible source :D

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

lets avoid logical reasoning and just blame it on magical invisible inductance from an unknown and invisible source :D

I can dig it. That way it is the magic's fault and most importantly- no one is wrong. lolol

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

So you get 4.1-4.3 on each coil

When you wire just 1 sub in series did you check that? What did it read?

How long are the cables your using, as you will get resistance through them

One sub wired in series read 2.x ohms on the meter, it also metered 2.x ohms wired in parallel.

If there's 4 feet total length of wire from inside the box to the amp I'd be surprised.

Sounds like a meter issue or a wiring issue.

I thought it could be the meter, but I metered several other speakers in my shop and they all metered correctly.

Lol that's what I'm saying.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

well, 2 D4's wire to 1 ohm when paralleled then paralleled again, so i would check you wiring.....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Check each coil and make sure it is at 2 ohms. Then put your meter in continuity and probe positive on the sub (both coils) and make sure it has no reading. If it does you have a fake coil or a single voice coil sub. If it doesn't show anything you should have a dual 2 ohm sub.I don't see any possibility for dual 2 ohm coils to read any less in series,unless you have a bad meter or fake sub. Its just not possible. It is pure mathematics. Perhaps a video of how you are measuringcan help reassure us that you are checking it the same way we would. Its kinda like saying I have 4 apples. I threw 2 away and still have 4 apples!

Archived