Second Skin Audio

bass boost question... curiosity.

think about it this way.

if you set your amp to output its maximum amount of clean power using just the gain knob, why would you want to turn the bass boost knob up to try and make the amp output even more power?

Bass boost will NOT damage a subwoofer. . .

Incorrect gain adjustments do not damage a subwoofer. . .

Turning the volume knob up too high damages a subwoofer. . .

If you understand those statements, you will not have any problems.

Correct.

I loved my knob. Everyone here seems to hate them...

THAT SAID..... YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW YOUR SYSTEM, AND YOUR GEAR.

Turn it up, and your gear down the line is set fucked... you will smell that lovely smell..

Responding now so I remember to reply when I get home

I've always boosted EVERY system I've had. Up to 18db at times with No problems...ever. I can understand why someone would tell u not to use it, but your not running enough power to cause a problem.

using bass boost to compensate not running enough power is not the answer. get your facts straight.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I've always boosted EVERY system I've had. Up to 18db at times with No problems...ever. I can understand why someone would tell u not to use it, but your not running enough power to cause a problem.

using bass boost to compensate not running enough power is not the answer. get your facts straight.

was waiting for a answer I THINK is proper.

Using it, to "try and get loud" is damage waiting to happen......

That said.. i like my knobs.. LOL.. and.... Ive never, EVER blown a driver....

Yep.. ever.....

Ok... Right... So I'm back

Bass boost in and of itself isn't the issue. The issue is when people set their gains, then use bass boost. Think of it as a secondary gain at a certain frequency. If you already have your amplifier's gain set to provide maximum potential, then you go and turn up the bass boost, that will push it into clipping.

However, if you set the gain and bass boost together, keeping in mind that some frequencies will be louder than others, it's perfectly safe to use. In this scenario, you could view it as an EQ of sorts since it changes the response of the system.

Recap: Bass boost is OK if you account for the fact that it will amplify some frequencies more than others. Forgetting that is what causes you to clip and break stuff ;)

bass boost boost a specific frequency, often sending it into clipping shich can blow your equipment, thats why you were told not to use it...and for the idiots saying theyve turn all the shit to the right with no damn problems just because you havent seen the magic white smoke doesnt mean you wont, consider yourselves lucky

SnowD - I will add that setting gains with bass boost only helps if you make sure you set the gain using a tone that matches the center frequency of the boost.

Example - I set my gains with a 60 Hz tone and I have bass boost cranked at 40-45 Hz, then I can still get a lot if additional gain (beyond the gain setting) when I actually play 40-45 Hz.

Will - guess I am lucky. Gain set at max on an AQ2200 at 1 ohm on a pair of 400 watt subs. 50,000 miles today and nothing blown :)

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Here is the skinny on bass boost. Think of it this way, if you say to yourself, "hmm i don't have enough low and highs" the answer is not to turn up bass and treble, the answer is to cut the midrange back so the highs and lows will be more pronounce. If you lose too much output from cutting the midrange then you add more power to compensate and you gain more headroom by doing that,

You bass boost is the same deal. You should not use bass boost because if your gains are set right then turning it up can cause either distortion or clipping.

Now i say "can". And of course there are people who run muti-band EQ's who have some frequencies above 0db. But, to boost a certain freq above 0db and not cause issues take some testing and some experience. You have to know you system, what it can do, and its limits.

Long story short, in general it is better to cut unwanted freq not boost the ones you want.

Archived