What Did I Do Wrong??

Went to lay down some resin and read the directions carefully. It says use 10 drops of the supplied MEKP per ounce of resin. It's 3M brand and I know there is better out there just hear me out....

I poured 12 oz of resin in the mixing container then added 120 drops of the hardner, mixed it with a whisk that never gets used in the kitchen....... Stirred it up then went to grab my brush. I dipped my brush once and when I went for the second dip the stuff was as thick as fresh cement. I grabbed the cup and it was hot, not warm but HOT to the touch.

If I were reading this I would think, too much hardner. I read the directions for the 10th time and it clearly says 10 drops per ounce of resin. I used 12 ounces of resin and added 120 drops of MEKP. I am working in my carport in the shade, and the hole I poked in the MEKP tube is super small.

Any ideas? I'm wanting to not even try it again lol.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

here is the issue, what is a drop? Serious, what is a drop. Did you put a pinhole in the hardener, use a screw, a 12ga awl? A drop can mean anything. I would say do this, work with 4-6oz at a time max. also, make a test batch, use 2oz resin and 10 drops of hardener. See what that does and how long you have to work with it.

I made a pinhole in the tube since I figured I could always make the hole bigger if I needed but I could never make it smaller.

Good advice though, I may try it. How you holding up duck?

Anyone else?

Too much hardener. I did that my first time too, so I just stopped measuring and started eyeballing it and brushing it on quickly. After a few batches, I got the mixture down to a point where it wouldn't cure too quickly, and I started using small batches, just enough to cover a small area in a quick amount of time. Then I'd make another small batch and do it all over again.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

And consensus says, if you've got the money, get Steve's sunflash. It's great for beginners. Using the stuff from home depot or Lowe's is cheaper and convenient, but you'd waste a lot of product just getting used to it and getting the mixing down right.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

And consensus says, if you've got the money, get Steve's sunflash. It's great for beginners. Using the stuff from home depot or Lowe's is cheaper and convenient, but you'd waste a lot of product just getting used to it and getting the mixing down right.

ummm no i dont reccomend that at all, have you used his sunflash because i have its great for getting your first shape but then you need to use reggular resin to strengthen

Too much hardener. I did that my first time too, so I just stopped measuring and started eyeballing it and brushing it on quickly. After a few batches, I got the mixture down to a point where it wouldn't cure too quickly, and I started using small batches, just enough to cover a small area in a quick amount of time. Then I'd make another small batch and do it all over again.

same here

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

ummm no i dont reccomend that at all, have you used his sunflash because i have its great for getting your first shape but then you need to use reggular resin to strengthen

Haven't been ballin' enough to try it out yet, just from the reviews I've seen on it and the convenience of using it on small projects in the garage then taking it outside to cure it, seemed pretty good.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Archived