Golitan11 Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 I have a Sundown SA-12 D2 wired in parallel (@1 ohm) and I figured out I did it wrong. In other words, for the jumper cables, I used KnuKonceptz Karma SS 12 gauge (because this is what I got) but two wires (from the first voicecoil and to the amplifier) at the same time were not fitting in the subwoofer terminals. So I decided, because I am a genius and I just wanted to finish as quick as possible to hear it (bad idea), to strip the wires coming from the first voicecoil twice as long as it should to be able to insert them into the second voicecoil terminals, and then to twist and tape the end of the wires coming from the amplifier to the extra bare wire of the jumper cables (this is why I stripped them twice as long). It is working, but I am trying to figure out for how long. Since I screwed my subwoofer and everything is in place, can I just keep this like that? Is it in some way dangerous? Thanks. P.S. I also did this for all my headunit wire harness but I guess I can redo it because it is accessible, so no problem there.
bassrace Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 So you have bare wire from one voice coil to the other side of the sub to the other voice coil? Wrapped in electric tape? And what did you do to your head unit? 145.9@40hz 145.3@34hz big 3 X2 group 34 Deka Group 31 All 0/1 awg jl meta wire Alpine CDA 7894 Orion HCCA D5000 2 AQ HDC312's Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only) AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets AQ supertweeters - 2 sets 2000 Slamry
Rmichael91 Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 I'd pull your head unit and use crimp caps for all the connections.. As for your sub, I'd pull it and jump it the right way. No excess wire.
Sergeant_Skyrim Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 If you have to ask, you probably don't wanna do it. Not to sound mean or anything, but safety is safety. You can trim some of the copper itself on both ends that you have to stick in so that you can twist them together and shove them in. But the whole stripping it twice as long and taping thing just sounds too sketchy to me. I'd be kinda scared if it were mine Build in progress
SMZ2 Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 That sounds like a fire hazard man... you could always wire the subs separate then wire the voice coils at the end of each speaker wire run. + to + solder then heat shrink.... A lot of us use bolts on the box too and it makes for easy wiring changes without removing the subwoofer. My Build Log!http://www.stevemead...nissan-xterror/ Check the Youtube Channel for Updates!http://www.youtube....ser/Xterror2002And Seller Feedbackhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/163179-bought-from-smz2/#entry2363713
Golitan11 Posted September 4, 2013 Author Report Posted September 4, 2013 I understand the safety for the headunit but for the subwoofer, I don't really understand in what way it can be dangerous. I mean if the electrical tape fall in some way (maybe not too, I put a lot) and the wires are disconnecting because they cannot be hold together, the signal will just not pass through and the subwoofer will just stop working no?
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 Binding post /thread That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Golitan11 Posted September 5, 2013 Author Report Posted September 5, 2013 But I mean how can it cause a short (for example if a bare wire get loose) inside the box where there is nothing else to contact?? Logically, the subwoofer will just stop working... That is the part I don't understand why it can be in some sort "dangerous". Thanks for someone who can explain me this.
SnowDrifter Posted September 5, 2013 Report Posted September 5, 2013 Pics of said wiring? It may be because I'm tired but I'm having trouble following this ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Golitan11 Posted September 5, 2013 Author Report Posted September 5, 2013 I can't take a pic because I don't want to screw my sub out. But here is a small draft showing how I did this: Gray = terminals Red = positive cable Black = negative cable Orange/brown = bare/stripped wire P.S. The brown bare wires are the ones plugged in the terminals So to make it quick, I just twist the orange bare wires (those are coming from the amp) to the brown bare wires (plugged into the voicecoil terminals) and put a lot of electrical tape around them. That's it.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.