need a new wireless router

Its been about 4 yrs and mine is deciding it wants to be aturd sso its time to look into another one.

Im a casual gamer. Stream lots of netflix and video though. Abiuy 10 to 12 Devices.

So whats the latest and greatest. Like to stay ariund 100 to 150. But if the next tier up gets me a much better proudct talk me into it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Nate, I have this in my house and I love it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091 I got a rebate on it and got it knocked down to 100 bucks shipped. I love my router. It works great but the 5ghz band sucks ass in my house for signal strength but I am also going through a floor and horsehair plaster (yeah my house is ancient) I am running the stock firmware but you can use wdrt on it if you wish. The one first linked is only wireless n but if you want wireless ac then you can get this model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115 I am impressed with the speed and distance I get from the first one I linked. I don't have an impressive connection at home for my ISP but when I move out I am taking that router with me and am only using my cell phone to get online because you can use your phones tethering to connect to the router through usb.

edit: I had a ton of issues in the past with a linksys router I was using where I had to reboot the damn thing every other week. I had the asus router up for over a year before I had to reboot it and the only reason for the reboot was because I updated the firmware on it. Other than that I have had 0 issues on it and never had to restart it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Im looking at theat asus rt n66u and the 65u actually.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

I just replaced my 4yr old linksys with Netgear N900 dual band. I love the dual band, streaming stuff and using my work laptop is way better.

I have the 66u and love it. You can even overclock it if you really feel like being a badass of the interwebs. lol. For me 5ghz is pointless and I have it shut off but if you are at a single level house then 5ghz should be just fine for you. It is not that great at penetrating through walls like my 2.4ghz signal is and I even setup the power level to the same wattage.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I have my eye on that 66u as well for when my router gives up the ghost and/or when I finally get FIOS, the gigbait WAN would be a welcome upgrade. Currently have a Linksys wrt600n dualband flashed with DDWRT, overclocked with 7dbi antennas, and I haven't needed to reboot it except for a firmware update in 2011.

DDWRT is awesome, we have 1 hardwired PC and network printer, 4 smartphones , 5 computers, 3 tablets, and 1 Roku streaming media box connected via wifi. QoS setup to prioritize voip and skype calls, while torrents/p2p protocols are placed in "bulk" because of a certain roommate...

@kickass, did you also get the wireless adapter for your pc?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

@kickass, did you also get the wireless adapter for your pc?

No I did not get any adapter for my computers. My galaxy s3 and laptop support 2.4 and 5ghz wireless n from the factory. The only device in my house that does not support 5ghz is my old smartphone I gave my dad. My network is setup so that my modem from my cable company is upstairs with a direct line right at my DEMARC. Then it goes to my Asus RTN66U that is right next to it. Then I have my dads desktop computer connected direct to the Asus router with another ethernet cable laying behind it that is ran to another room that is not used. Then I have an Asus EA-N66 adapter that is on the first floor at my desk that connects to the Asus router through the wireless signal. Then I have an old ass Linksys WT54G wireless router with DDWRT firmware flashed onto it that is connected to the Asus EA-N66 adapter so I have wired connections on the first floor without having to run a cable from upstairs to downstairs. It works PERFECTLY! No lag, awesome speed and excellent signal strength as long as I don't use 5ghz. 5g is rather weak anywhere you are with it penetrating things like walls and stuff and with my house having the walls it does it is like being in a faraday cage. lol.

Range doesnt habve ro be monstrous but we have a ranch house and the router is dead smack in the middle of the hiuse and we get like two bars in our bedroom and everywhere not right in front of the thing.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Grab a nice dual band router (5Ghz for speed near the router and 2.4Ghz for distance). Wireless N is going to be the best protocol for you too. I think that most routers in your price range also have USB 2.0 ports for an external drive (might be nice for streaming movies that you already have on one of your computers to the rest of the network).

You could also go completely tech geek and grab a 100Mb/1Gb switch with as many ports as you see fit and some wireless access points. and place one on one end of your house and one at the other end. You could get Wifi all through your property that way (not exactly necessary but i'm a big tech geek. Its ideal IMO)

Archived