Sonic Electronix

Need Help Charging Trunk Battery

That charger recognizes battery type, (agm,lead acid), amp hour capacity, and health of the battery upon placing it on the terminals. It charges at only about 4 amps, but is called an intelli charger for a reason. It recognizes the state of the battery its connected to and provides maintenance accordingly. If your positive lead is still connected to the front battery it will not recognize the specs of the battery you intend to charge. Opposite polarities attract, and your front battery is grounded. Most of the trickle charge of 4 amps will be lost in the relay of your positive lead to the front battery. You will find that you will have the charger on the battery for hours and hours and the light never goes 100% because of this.

So...Just disconnect everything and you will get a correct charge.

Can someone verify if the above statement is true? I am intending to charge the battery under the hood and trunk at the same time. The batteries are connected in parallel and both grounded to the frame. I have a CTEK battery charger.

That charger recognizes battery type, (agm,lead acid), amp hour capacity, and health of the battery upon placing it on the terminals. It charges at only about 4 amps, but is called an intelli charger for a reason. It recognizes the state of the battery its connected to and provides maintenance accordingly. If your positive lead is still connected to the front battery it will not recognize the specs of the battery you intend to charge. Opposite polarities attract, and your front battery is grounded. Most of the trickle charge of 4 amps will be lost in the relay of your positive lead to the front battery. You will find that you will have the charger on the battery for hours and hours and the light never goes 100% because of this.

So...Just disconnect everything and you will get a correct charge.

Can someone verify if the above statement is true? I am intending to charge the battery under the hood and trunk at the same time. The batteries are connected in parallel and both grounded to the frame. I have a CTEK battery charger.

Keep everything connected and charge away, you're fine.

Two batteries will have twice the capacity and therefore take twice as long to charge and that's to be expected.

No worries :good:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I have had different results. If I just hook the charger up while both batteries are connected I don't get a full charge on either. It charges for about 30min and says its done. If I disconnect the rear battery it takes a few hours to charge. That tells me the rear is not getting a full charge when they are connected. That was when I had a stock alt and my batteries did get drained a little on a daily basis. I was using a schumacker intelligent charger also that was supposed to sense agm and all that good stuff. I personally would charge them separately unless you have a really nice charger that says it will do multiple batteries at once. I could tell a big difference between when I charged them together and separately so I know they were not getting a full charge.

This is from CTEK's website:

Q. Can I charge several batteries in parallel?
A. The charger has no problem whatsoever of charging or maintaining several batteries, as long as they are connected in parallel. The charger sees the parallel connected batteries as one large battery. The sum of the capacity has to be below the recommendation for your model. Please note that there could be a high current between batteries when they are connected together, i.e. use high quality wiring.

The CTEK 3300 info suggests up to a 120Ah of capacity.

Specs on your Kinetik HC1400's:

• Weight: 39lbs
  • Ah: 60

With two HC1400's in parallel, your capacity doubles from 60Ah to 120Ah which is exactly what CTEK specifies for the 3300 charger.

You should be fine.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

If both batteries are grounded to the chassis then you should be good. Considering both of your grounds are good.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Jesus.... This is becoming way too complicated. Your batteries are wired in parallel. Just hook yup the charger to any battery and they will ALL charge.

You are over thinking this way too much. Just charge them :)

the CTEK works better if you disconnect and charge separately; regardless of what they say on their website, you should charge separately.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Listen to Wicks please!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/