Second Skin Audio

Best wood for enclosure build.. Not MDF

David Bailey

Like the title states, what is the best wood to build a box that is not MDF. Reason being, I think I am going to stain my box, so MDF wouldn't work anyway. I see a lot of people using Birch, so why, and what is a good size. Like 7 ply or more? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks y'all.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

plywood has a lot of voids in the inner layers. There is plywood from Canada that you can get the has no voids at all. Use MDF and then Veneer it with wood. If you can use solid wood Maple makes good heavy boxes with no flex. When my bicep heals from surgery I am constructing box out of hard maple. 1.5 inches thick. Stay away from plywood! Also if you use veener make sure you use contact glue for high temps. Do not want it to delaminate in your vehicle. Journeyman Cabinet maker here that has his own woodshop.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

plywood has a lot of voids in the inner layers. There is plywood from Canada that you can get the has no voids at all. Use MDF and then Veneer it with wood. If you can use solid wood Maple makes good heavy boxes with no flex. When my bicep heals from surgery I am constructing box out of hard maple. 1.5 inches thick. Stay away from plywood! Also if you use veener make sure you use contact glue for high temps. Do not want it to delaminate in your vehicle. Journeyman Cabinet maker here that has his own woodshop.

That sounds great and all, but using MDF and an overlay just seems like a lot of overkill, work and money. I like your idea though. I want my box to look like a nice cabinet, with detailed wood grain brought out by sanding and staining. Can't wait to see your when you get around to it.

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

maple is awesome! Smells great in the garage when I cut it up too. But a little pricey

I am only doing a box for two 12's, so if I measure twice and cut once, I can get away with 2 sheets total. I will look into maple. And I can do the port walls with a cheaper (yet good strong) wood, since they will never be seen.

The acoustics will be different between the two woods.

Not too sure how it will, or how much it will effect it.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The acoustics will be different between the two woods.

Not too sure how it will, or how much it will effect it.

Good point. I will use all the same, the port walls will be minimal wood anyway.

At my local home depot the only kind of birch ply wood they have is 3 ply. How does that compare/what's the difference when you add more layers?

Car: 2000 Honda CRV

Battery: XS Power D5100R

Alternator: Stock 90A

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS

Front Speakers: Alpine Type S

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 628's

Wires: All Knu 4g. Soon to be 0g. Big 3 in 0g

Volt Meter: SMD VM-1

Amps: Rockford Fosgate T400-2, T1000-1bdCP

Subs: 2 SSA XCON 15's Sealed

Tint: Privacy glass + 5% in the back and 25% in fronts

Archived