Second Skin Audio

Best wood for enclosure build.. Not MDF

David Bailey

MDF and veneer will be one half to one third the cost of birch, and even more cheaperer than maple. I don't see what you mean by overkill. And as far as more work, it's the same amount of work, then you just wrap the box in veneer. But if you are not familiar with applying veneer it probably won't turn out well.

my local home depot has 7 ply AC birch plywood, isn't as good as 13 ply baltic birch or whatever people pay 70 dollars a sheet for, but it's much much much better than MDF IMO and for 35 dollars a sheet you can't go wrong.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Shop around for Baltic birch, look for a local lumber yard. I can get 3/4" 5x5 13 ply cabinet grade Baltic birch for $45 a sheet.

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Use Teak wood. It is the most water resistant wood there is. It is very strong and durable, and lighter than most of all woods. That and its beauty is why it is used when building, boats, yachts, etc. suppose ably used in high end musical instruments for a richer sound.

truthsayer

Who is getting water on their enclosures?

Now if it's tonal properties and malleability -I guess- are good then that is different.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I used birch, there are voids in the inner layers. But it's nice, light, and decent to work with. It's supposedly stronger than mdf as well. The only problem if you're going to stain it would be the grain on the visible edges. That could throw off the look with any wood though. Only way I can think of getting around that would be to 45 all the joints.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Archived