ChevyBoy95 Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 Curious to what REALLY makes a circle shaped power (pvc/aero/sonotube) more efficient that a square port (slot). Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's] BL : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/
Pioneerchuck Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 I would assume that the edges of a square port break up the sound waves, whereas the flow of a circle helps keep the sound wave intact.
Chance_P Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 A round port has less surface area in contact with the moving air when compared to a square port of the same port area and length, thus less resistance.
KMS Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 Well then, aero box is what I should make now. Alpine PDX-V9 Morel Tempo 6 Alpine SBR-S8-4 Alpine CDE 149BT
STEALTH808 Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET 150Db Club 160Db club in the future I see krakin as a threat
CleanSierra Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 A round port is ONLY more efficient than a rounded over slot port if it has a flare. Preferably a flare at both ends, according to the Loudspeaker Cookbook and multiple tests performed. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 I prefer round ports due to the flexibility and being able to get the port area I want in less real estate. I've had good luck so far and being torn anything into a leading wall is nice Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Skullz Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 The corners in slot and square ports are dead areas that the air doesn't move to so a round port allows all of the air to travel through it. Plus you have more surface area which creates friction for the air to pass through which slows it down, but many times it is just easier to make a slot port than to try and find a size in round ports suitable for use. 01 Ford focus ZX3 Pioneer AVH-X491BHS PPI PC 4800.2 Morel Maximo 6.5" x2
bdog Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 i understand this more than port velocity . REP
STEALTH808 Posted October 16, 2013 Report Posted October 16, 2013 there is a difference between "round" and "aero". TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET 150Db Club 160Db club in the future I see krakin as a threat
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.