Second Skin Audio

2 subs - same sealed box - out of phase?

I have 2 SA 8 v.2's in a sealed box with about 2.4 ft^3 of net volume. Just to clarify, they are sharing the same chamber; they do NOT have separate chambers. They are also being powered off the same amp, Pioneer GM-D86 (but I just put in a new amp yesterday: Hifonics BRX1600.1D).
During some songs and some frequencies and tones, they seem to look like they may be out of phase with each other. My friend noticed it and said he thinks my subs are out of phase with each other, but I can barely see what he was pointing out.

Is it even possible for 2 subs to be out of phase with each other when they are in the same sealed box and are being powered by the same amp?

Pop test them. Unhook the speaker wires from your amp and strike them against a 9v battery. They should both move in the same direction

On a separate note, IMO that box is too big for a pair of 8s

Yes they certainly can be wired out of phase.

Check each woofer to make sure the pos+ and Neg- wires are on the correct terminals.

Also, if they are truly out of phase, you would notice that output is very low. And you may not hear any bass at all.

Also, that box does not seem right for 2) 8s.

Maybe if it was ported it would be a good size.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Well I know they are wired correctly, so I guess my friend was just high or something... I had my suspicions.
And I know, the box is too big the sundown subs, but I actually made the box for 2 kicker comp8's (in which that box is perfect for them, based on the kicker manual), which I will put in soon. I just have the sundown subs in there for fun and they sound pretty good anyway.

Pop test them. Unhook the speaker wires from your amp and strike them against a 9v battery. They should both move in the same direction

On a separate note, IMO that box is too big for a pair of 8s

I was just about to say the same thing.

Nothing for now...

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

I'd grab Adam's ass and look him in the eyes for a demo of nates truck.

I knew that if they were truly out of phase, it should be fairly obvious, based on the lack of sound and opposite movement. I experienced neither. My friend thought he saw some difference in movement during certain tones and parts of songs. Thanks, for the clarification.

Archived