Second Skin Audio

Dual Ported with Different Port Tune

timc31610

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have read and followed so many awesome builds! I am finally ready for something not prefab in my 99 Durango. I currently have one ALpine Type R 10 dual 4 wired to 2 on an Alpine MRX-M100 in a 1.8ft3 tuned to 32 hz. It thumps pretty well but I feel I am missing some of the upper bass notes. Here are my thoughts. Build a 2 chamber ported box (I will use the other Type R 10 since I have 2 already) and tune one section to 30hz and the other to 40-44hz. I will use another MRX-M100 Amp to power the second sub. Will there be any conflicts or cancellation I should be concerned with? Has anyone tried this yet? I am sure it has been done but I have searched fruitlessly for about two weeks. Thanks for any and all Input and thanks for such an awesome forum!

my team has a saying "keep it simple, stupid"

put your efforts into building the one box to achieve your goals instead of trying to band-aid a solution. there's no reason a sub in a box tuned to 30hz cant play well at 45hz.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Thanks for the responses! This is my first box build an yeah I may have went a little too big. It is very peaky. I was trying to fill the back cargo space width and depth and not dig too much into the height so that the GF could still carry groceries in the rear. The box is 44" wide x 13.5" deep x 8" high, bottom firing sub and port on top. Ill try to post a couple of pics tomorrow. The Lows are awesome but the higher bass just isnt there, is that because the size of the box?

You should have some type of 40-60hz bass. It won't be as loud as your lower bass notes especially if your box is really peaky. Have you checked how low your LPF is?

You could try some 8" woofers in the front doors,they will make your sub stage blend in a lot better, or as someone stated,a 6th order bandpass enclosure if built to your needs can hit the lows & higher freqs.

Thanks for the responses! This is my first box build an yeah I may have went a little too big. It is very peaky. I was trying to fill the back cargo space width and depth and not dig too much into the height so that the GF could still carry groceries in the rear. The box is 44" wide x 13.5" deep x 8" high, bottom firing sub and port on top. Ill try to post a couple of pics tomorrow. The Lows are awesome but the higher bass just isnt there, is that because the size of the box?

ah, I know exactly what you were trying to do. I did the same thing with my first box. I recommend either firing everything back, at the hatch, or sub up port back and making a false floor to go over the box like I did. with either box, since you're going for shallow, have the port in the middle to act as bracing.

P1020536.jpg

P1020538.jpg

I built that for my first system and I just keep changing the legs on it for every new build I do. it'll support all the groceries and anything else.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

The high notes will typically drop off a lot in bigger boxes, the woofers can't pressurize the air that fast, so the output drops off. Prime example is when I had two 15's in my wall that was meant for four 15's. It got absolutely brutal right at tuning. And 5hz above my tuning, output just fell off.

And when I dropped the last two subs in, I was choking myself out on the high notes.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

ah, I know exactly what you were trying to do. I did the same thing with my first box. I recommend either firing everything back, at the hatch, or sub up port back and making a false floor to go over the box like I did. with either box, since you're going for shallow, have the port in the middle to act as bracing.

P1020536.jpg

P1020538.jpg

I built that for my first system and I just keep changing the legs on it for every new build I do. it'll support all the groceries and anything else.

Nice Box! I like the shelf, I was trying to use the top of mine for that purpose. I have the third row seat, if we didn't have so many children I would remove the third row and do something similar.

Archived