Triticum Agricolam Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ This is where I get my bits from. They are decent quality and a pretty good price. Always get 1/2" shaft bits if you can, even if they cost a few bucks more. Like everyone else said, cutting circles with a router is 1,000,000 times better than with a jigsaw, plus you can recess drivers into the baffle with it, round over edges, use flush trim bits, etc. The only thing you will be sorry about is not getting one sooner. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Also when it comes to the router itself this one is pretty awesome for the money: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-4-Horsepower-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI/ I have two routers that I use, a Dewalt, and the Hitachi I linked above. The Dewalt is definitely the better tool, but the Hitachi will do everything the Dewalt does and is WAY less money. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Karkov Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I bought and use a router and will never go back. Once you have one you will find more uses for it when building boxes. it makes things look preeeeeeeetty. Cutting holes for subs is faster and easier IMO, with a jasper jig you don't even have to be as careful as when cutting with a jigsaw. Yes, bits are expensive which sucks but still worth it. Put it to use once you get one and you can justify the price more. X2 on the trigger on/off instead of the button BUT that doesn't matter all that much (still is nice though, lol) I know what you are saying though OP, mine was like $200 and bits *can* be close to $40 per...... 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
Souldrop Posted November 8, 2013 Author Report Posted November 8, 2013 Thanks Triticum, I'll definitely check those out! Are there any types of bits you would suggest I get first? I'm looking forward to trying one out! 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
Dwn4BassAlan Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Thanks Triticum, I'll definitely check those out! Are there any types of bits you would suggest I get first? I'm looking forward to trying one out! You want the maximum possible ratio of performance:longevity? 2 words: Porter Cable. Any other kind and you're doing it wrong. (Not literally of course, there's other quality routers, but I have never had one better than the PC) The amount of abuse that thing has taken is far beyond even the most extreme expected, but it works better than any of my others. If you don't have that kind of budget, might I suggest a RIGID? They offer a lifetime guarantee on all(?) of their tools, and the router is actually quite good. Picked one up on sale a while ago and it really surprised me. All rigid tools surprised me so far, and honestly the warranty is unbeatable....it's lifetime. Just make sure you register it if you buy one to get the coverage. (If you want to use one and you do buy the Rigid, get the combo with the plunge-base holder with the rigid, because it's not a standard size, so it won't fit another brand most likely. Like many others, it's the only part of the kit that doesn't work flawlessly, but its no worse than any of the ryobi or dewalt ones I've used, which can be made better with some lube or grease in the right spots. So far the best one was a bosch actually, it was really smooth right out of the box, with the best plunge and hold system too. If you buy a different brand definitely get a plunge, I'd recommend a bosch if you can get it individually or in a combo) Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
n8ball2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Plunge router over fixed base any day too. Ive got a dewalt plunge fixed combo. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Jessica Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 As far as speed goes a router will usually be slower. More prep work to cut the hole and it usually takes a few passes to cut the hole too. But the quality is amazing. First time you cut a hole and the sub touches all the way around the edge of the hole you will be one with the universe. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Soccerballzs Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I use both. A jigsaw to precut sub hole first cut it 1/8 smaller then use a jig any plunge cut router to Finnish cutting. I have always precut holes1/8 smaller first so the router does better job at the Finnish hole. Less strain on the router and bit. Use carbide bits also. I would avoid spiral bits they like to dance on project. I have 1 Makita 3 Hp in router table for my dado work with power feed and 1 3 horse power for free hand work. Make sure you get a plunge cut router. Buy quality bits also! Not high speed steel!!!! I have 7 different routers I use. Try your local pawn shops!! Been doing woodworking for 34 years here. Have cabinet shop!! Journeyman cabinet maker also. I know my woodworking tools. Avoid Craftsman unless it is free!!! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Pasta Prime Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I use both. A jigsaw to precut sub hole first cut it 1/8 smaller then use a jig any plunge cut router to Finnish cutting. I have always precut holes1/8 smaller first so the router does better job at the Finnish hole. Less strain on the router and bit. Use carbide bits also. I would avoid spiral bits they like to dance on project. I have 1 Makita 3 Hp in router table for my dado work with power feed and 1 3 horse power for free hand work. Make sure you get a plunge cut router. Buy quality bits also! Not high speed steel!!!! I have 7 different routers I use. Try your local pawn shops!! Been doing woodworking for 34 years here. Have cabinet shop!! Journeyman cabinet maker also. I know my woodworking tools. Avoid Craftsman unless it is free!!! I've used both a spiral upcut and a straight cut bit to cut holes with my jasper jig and I haven't noticed much difference. What do you use when cutting circles with a jig? I only have a 1/4" router at the moment but that will soon change as it is one of the most, if not the most versatile tool to wood work with. New build coming........ YouTube:http://www.youtube.c...6?feature=guide Old Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d-on-the-cheap/ Old Screen name: Redrebel66
Soccerballzs Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I use both. A jigsaw to precut sub hole first cut it 1/8 smaller then use a jig any plunge cut router to Finnish cutting. I have always precut holes1/8 smaller first so the router does better job at the Finnish hole. Less strain on the router and bit. Use carbide bits also. I would avoid spiral bits they like to dance on project. I have 1 Makita 3 Hp in router table for my dado work with power feed and 1 3 horse power for free hand work. Make sure you get a plunge cut router. Buy quality bits also! Not high speed steel!!!! I have 7 different routers I use. Try your local pawn shops!! Been doing woodworking for 34 years here. Have cabinet shop!! Journeyman cabinet maker also. I know my woodworking tools. Avoid Craftsman unless it is free!!! I've used both a spiral upcut and a straight cut bit to cut holes with my jasper jig and I haven't noticed much difference. What do you use when cutting circles with a jig? I only have a 1/4" router at the moment but that will soon change as it is one of the most, if not the most versatile tool to wood work with. I made a jig for jigsaw/ If you use jigsaw buy a quality one Bosch makes the best jigsaw all a round. Woodworking magazines will tell you this straight up. Bosch has the abilities to adjust blade swing so you can get a better cut. They are pricy but will last for years. I don't use spiral bits because they limit you on using them for other kinds of routes. You cannot use a spiral bit to make dado cuts. Plus the have a tendency to dance on work piece. I have probably $2000.00 just in bits alone for routers. Also use power feed on router table for multiple runs. You can buy router bits in a kit with different ones at a discounted price. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.