Pasta Prime Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 A high quality jig saw would certainly be nice but I to expand my router bit library before I dive into one of those expensive jig saw. The router is certainly the most versatile woodworking tool and I love it! New build coming........ YouTube:http://www.youtube.c...6?feature=guide Old Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d-on-the-cheap/ Old Screen name: Redrebel66
tacomaguy1 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I've had a craftsman plunge that I've had for 4-5 years.....still going strong and I can't even start to count how many cutouts I've done with it Team Flex Issues
Dwn4BassAlan Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 If you have the money now, you might consider this one. I even considered adding it lol, 61% off a porter?? good deal if you ask me, great in fact. http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-895PK-4-Horsepower-Fixed-Plunge/dp/B0000DCBKN/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383933677&sr=1-4&keywords=porter+cable+router If that's too much router for you to handle, then I'd get this bosch one for the same price. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=pd_cp_hi_0 Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
Soccerballzs Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 If you have the money now, you might consider this one. I even considered adding it lol, 61% off a porter?? good deal if you ask me, great in fact. http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-895PK-4-Horsepower-Fixed-Plunge/dp/B0000DCBKN/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383933677&sr=1-4&keywords=porter+cable+router That is a hell of a deal!!!! Nice tool to have!!! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
rockFord_Expedition Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 As far as speed goes a router will usually be slower. More prep work to cut the hole and it usually takes a few passes to cut the hole too. But the quality is amazing. First time you cut a hole and the sub touches all the way around the edge of the hole you will be one with the universe. I agree with most here except the speed thing, but maybe that varies by person. Including marking for the cuts and everything else, my BEST work with a jigsaw will take longer than using the router. With routers, like most other things, you get what you pay for. Plunge base is the way to go. Get a spiral upcut bit for making circles, a round over bit, and a flush trim bit and you will be happy you did. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Dwn4BassAlan Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Or do what all the highest quality box makers do, turn your table saw onto it's highest speed, and just drop a sheet of MDF on top of it while it's at speed. It will surely give you the cleanest and finest circles without a doubt it's a special-secret trick most n00bs don't know. (p.s: hopefully you know this is a joke, please don't try this unless you have money to blow lol, then I fully encourage it) Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
Souldrop Posted November 9, 2013 Author Report Posted November 9, 2013 Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into those, but trying to be budget friendly until I know that it's a tool I'll definitely want to have. I have a month or so to decide before I start to build the box. Thanks for the suggestions as far as bits. That gives me something to work towards over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll pick up more bits as time goes on, but was wondering which couple would be most relevant to what I need to do now. 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
Jessica Posted November 9, 2013 Report Posted November 9, 2013 As far as speed goes a router will usually be slower. More prep work to cut the hole and it usually takes a few passes to cut the hole too. But the quality is amazing. First time you cut a hole and the sub touches all the way around the edge of the hole you will be one with the universe.I agree with most here except the speed thing, but maybe that varies by person.Including marking for the cuts and everything else, my BEST work with a jigsaw will take longer than using the router. With routers, like most other things, you get what you pay for. Plunge base is the way to go. Get a spiral upcut bit for making circles, a round over bit, and a flush trim bit and you will be happy you did. I wont argue, but think about all the steps involved in what you just said and think about how much time it would take compared to stabbing a hold with a drill bit and byzzing a jigsaw around a line. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
n8ball2013 Posted November 9, 2013 Report Posted November 9, 2013 A good router will not take long at all. you still have to find your center point. draw your circle and then drill through it then cut along the line and not screw it up. for a router. find the center point pick the size hole you want on the jig. drill a center pin hole. stick it through the corresponding size on the jig. Plunge through and wood and away you go. I think it takes me longer to setup the jig on my router than it does to route anything. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
rockFord_Expedition Posted November 9, 2013 Report Posted November 9, 2013 Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into those, but trying to be budget friendly until I know that it's a tool I'll definitely want to have. I have a month or so to decide before I start to build the box. Thanks for the suggestions as far as bits. That gives me something to work towards over the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll pick up more bits as time goes on, but was wondering which couple would be most relevant to what I need to do now. See post #25 Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.