Second Skin Audio

best cheap subs.... best cheap high excursion sub?

exxxtrem

So when company make there subs they measure the amout of travel the subwoofer can travel correctly by xmax. The amount of travel the sub can do. Witch directly affects how much cone movement there will be, equaling how much air will be moved my the displacement of the woofer. Other factors come in as far as power handling, box size, bla bla bla.

But hands down xmax matters! Look at the cheap ass subs and they will have 6mm travel. then look at sundown that have 12mm travel, twice the excursion.

Thats why people started bashing kicker many years ago. Orion came out with high excursion woofers. I know because I replaced my kickers with orions, same wattage and oh my god. That was the start and the trend since has been greater x max. Every car video we look at on you tube.. what do we focus on... how far the sub moves is your air movement.

high xmax doesnt mean shit. you need motor force to go with the xmax

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Xmax and power do not go hand in hand as you say they do. There are plenty of high Xmax subs that will not handle the power of ones with less Xmax. The RE XXX had 54MM of Xmax but won't take as much power as a Fi SP4 that only has a measly 33MM of Xmax.

Coil size( even coil material and number of layers), and suspension of the sub is what determines power handling, NOT Xmax.

P.S. As I've stated twice already, Xmax does not determine how much air a sub will displace. If you have a sub that happens to have a coil that has deeper windings, the coil will stay in the gap longer which leads to a higher Xmax number. That doesn't equate to cone travel or if a sub will be louder or move more air than another with lower Xmax.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You are putting 6 subs in a cavalair trunk? Need to see this.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

No ported. Just looking for alot of air movement. Correct me if im wrong but more xmax= more cone movement= more air movement.

Also, you said this, then when you were corrected you told everyone they were wrong for correcting you. So, um. yeah...

mayhems only have 30 mm of xmax and they move lots of air.. vs the re xxx that have 54 xmax the mayhem can take gobs of power more..

I think you guys are all (well, not all of you, but most are jumping on the "beat the new guy" bandwagon) forgetting that excursion is a function of enclosure design and applied power.

Xmax will play a role for transients and below tuning frequency mostly. At or above you are not likely to reach the full xmax of the driver without retard amounts of power or a really big damn box.

edit

as to best cheap sub... I would say Lanzar, but they have weird ass coil sizes so recones can be a bitch. Digital Designs are a bit expensive but will take a beating.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived