wattage difference at -10db vs -5db vs 0db

You can also think of it like this... -5db will end up with a gain setting 316% higher than -0db. Or about 78% louder. And -10db will have a setting 1,000% higher than -0, sounding ~3x as loud as -0.

But amps have a limit, you can't exceed the rail voltage (clipping). So those numbers are for the most part meaningless, and I would refer to my previous post about being familiar with what you listen to and choosing a track accordingly :)

I understand wattage will have many factors. But again. lets say I have a song thats hard to hear with a -0db tune. And then I tune at -5db and the song is much louder, what makes the the song louder? Is it wattage? is it the gains up higher running clean at -5db with some distortion and clipping at -0db?

If the song is much louder, it means that it was the wrong track.

Example 1:

You are playing a song with a -7db bass line. And you set your gain with a (for example) -3db track. Think of it that your amp now has a +3db amplification. But +3db -7db from the song still leaves you with a -4db deficit in output power from the amp.

Example 2:

You are playing a song with a -5db bass line(Typical of "decaf" music). And you set your gain with a -5db track. Your amp now has a +5db amplification. -5db from the song +5db amplification from the amp nets out to be -0db -- you are getting full power out of the amp without clipping.

Example 3:

You are playing a song with a -5db bass line. And you set your gain with a -10db track. Your amp now has a +10db amplification. -5db from the song +10db amplification nets out to be +5db. Since you cannot exceed 0db, you are now 5db into clipping. I can get a picture if you would like, but what that means is you are clipping fairly significantly

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Well I plan on beating the crap out of my SP4's so they will get -10db and door compnents -5db and probably -7.5db on midbass.

One last question : will the voltage be the same at -0db vs -5db?

Voltage output of the amp will be higher at -5db

RCA voltage will remain the same

Vehicle's running voltage: It takes power to make power.

And my problem of quiet tracks comes from late 80's early 90's bass cd's. Decaf is fine, old school is quiet

Set according to your old school tracks and turn down the sub level on your head unit a few notches when you play decaf

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Set according to your old school tracks and turn down the sub level on your head unit a few notches when you play decaf

LOL!!! Occasionally I remember to turn down the bass on the HU :-) Usually I just don't turn up the volume to the peak DD-1 setting when on decaf.

Thanks for the info

It might also be useful spot set gains according to your max distortion point on the headunit at those higher levels to satisfy your 80's music...

Then leave those gain settings (a LC1 might be helpful here)

Then put on the -5db track and with those same gain settings, roll up the volume till you see distortion.

Now you have two different max volumes for your two different genre of music that are recorded at different db levels.

Snows answers are way better then mine but I believe mine might be useful sir.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

This is what i do.

I use the -7.5 tone. And then when i play decaf, i use my knob. Knowing my gear, and what to look for, (i watch my voltage, it tells me what i need to know) and go ham.

Do i get things hot? sure,...

Ive never in my life blown a sub though. Never.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

I just dont use decaf. But I set with th -5. I dont think my woofers would last long on -10

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.