Oil filter cap set - need buying advice

So I'm finding that a lot of vehicles -- Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and so on have these specialty canister filters that need their own socket for them.

Rather than getting a bunch of individual sockets to fit them, I was looking at getting a set of stamped steel ones. Like these

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Universal-Change-Filter-Wrench/dp/B00FOBT7WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385951447&sr=8-1&keywords=30pc+filter+socket+set

But being as thin as they are... It could be a blessing or a curse. Has anyone used them (or ones like these?) My only concern would be the thickness of the material not standing up to repeated use

Get a OTC set if you are going to use them.

To be honest i have a set and it just collects dust. Don't waste your money. A good oil filter wrench will work just fine.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Do you have a link?

I'm referring to filters like these. Where a filter wrench is time consuming and a filter "claw" doesn't grab it very well - both end up tearing up the plastic end piece.

I'm trying to avoid tracking each filter piece down individually. Mainly due to cost.

$(KGrHqJHJCYFE7cz4SpoBRzdfWhlw!~~60_35.J

I quick searched and showed a couple people using the rubber strap style wrench...which may be your best bet considering the potential problems your speaking of. Honestly, that's the first time I've seen that style. Mostly I've just used the claw wrench.....crushes the filter but does the job.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Yeah some cars are a PITA with the filter tucked deep in the engine bay. No space for a strap wrench or traditional filter pliers lol.

It's for shop use, not for home use. That's why I care about this so much. I end up wasting a huge amount of time fiddling with these stupid things because I don't have the proper tools

Do you have a link?

I'm referring to filters like these. Where a filter wrench is time consuming and a filter "claw" doesn't grab it very well - both end up tearing up the plastic end piece.

I'm trying to avoid tracking each filter piece down individually. Mainly due to cost.

$(KGrHqJHJCYFE7cz4SpoBRzdfWhlw!~~60_35.J

Can I ask what you do that you need multiple sizes?

Like I said I have a kit and barely gets used, and thats for the whole shop. The car that I do have issues with and use one on every time is the new Toyota cartridge filters. For some reason those suckers get glued on and the aftermarket wrenches didn't work and would slip off. I just got one from Toyota and works just fine.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

That is sooooo close to being perfect. 1/2" isn't ideal though. And it's missing the big volvo filter.

If I can find something like this that's 3/8 and has the giant volvo filter socket - it would be perfect. Unpainted too

When I use to work in a lube center when I was 16-18 I just grabbed them with a shop rag on my hand and turned (still do that to this day doing my vehicles).

If they are super tight from someone installing the new ones to tight, I have a spring loaded guy that grabs the filters by the bottom and fits on a socket wrench.

Cant personally stand those steel band, or rubber strap style wrenches since they dont fit well in many spaces to get a good turn since the room is limited.

They come in a small and large size iirc

G2198.jpg

There is also a style with 3 prongs, never used them so dont know how great they are tho.

239916-20121121061530-hopkins-adjustable

Archived