Second Skin Audio

How much of a difference does price make?

What are you looking for? I mean SQ oriented or SPL oriented. I'm assuming SPL so whatever you want. I built a box for a single pioneer 12 on that same alpine m500 you are looking at, and it was pretty loud and sounded decent, I mean for $200 sub amp and box. My dad bought some boss subs (after I told him never to do so) and so I put one in just to show him it sucked, well it sounded almost as good as the pioneer and was louder, in the same box. If you want loud, even boss will get you there. If you do in fact know what you are doing you can make almost anything sound ok and get loud. But I will note that Showtime car audio is having a sale on some DAD subs. I like mine. I have two tens in a sealed box and they are plenty loud and sound good. Have good frequency response and I got them for the same price as the Boss that my dad bought at a yard sale. The only other person I know of that runs DADs is Twistedchild420. (there are more but my point is I'm the only person that i know of or have ever met that uses these subs, and they outperform similar set ups.) Also that alpine amp is a solid amp for the money. I really liked it.

You could also look into getting some Sundown 8s. If wow factor is what you are after, you can make those 8s outdo most of your friends 10s and 12s.

Most of the brands you mentioned, RF, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer and Kicker all make fairly solid entry level stuff. Just Sundown, DD, DC...etc make better stuff. Sundown for example has the E series which is priced like "mainstream" entry level but performs better. They are also coming out with the LCS subs mentioned earlier, supposed to be like 60 or 70 bucks. Nothing in that price will be alble to touch them.

There are literally hundreds of right answers for you.

I always go by the phrase "You get what you pay for." I believe in such thing as finding decent products for relatively cheap, but I prefer to not waste my time and go with something trusted right away. In your case, Soundqubed is probably a good idea, Sundown too. (Subs wise)

Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit

Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck)

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

Look at it this way, if you buy a $40 sub, that company is still making money off if it, so it probably only cost them $10-$15 or so to build. Now compare that to a $200 sub that may cost a company $100 to build. Cheaper parts make for a cheap sub prone to failure.

you really do get what you pay for. I would go with a well known brand. I run DD subs and prior to that I ran Soundstream subs. Now don't get me wrong i loved my Soundstream subs but when i upgraded to a DD 9515 (which cost $200 or so more), there was a huge difference even on the same amp, and same box.

Same goes for amps. I run Soundstream amps and before i had their entry level Tarantula amp which was pretty clean, put out good power, and was very reliable. but then when i upgraded to my XXX, everything sounded 100 times cleaner, louder, and the bass was so much lower. that's what happens when you go from a cheaper entry level amp to a top of the line amp. Now i know Soundstream amps are not the best but i have me reasons for running them.

I am only 17 but have been into car audio since i was 14 doing installs for other people. Saving for equipment is worth the wait. i saved for about 6 months or so for my 2 9512's and i haven't finished my build yet but they are worth the wait.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

For audio equipement, I wouldn't look anywhere else other than

Soundqubed

Sundown Audio

Fi Audio

Ascendant Audio

DC Audio

CT sounds

Obsidian Audio

Sky high car audio

they are all proven brands and great quality.

edit: some of the best priced equipment is soundqubed and CT sounds

You left out Rockford Fosgate :)

DD

Tantric

B2

etc...

vs thread in the making.

"you get what you pay for"

Doesn't mean that there Isn't over priced equipment/companies out there in the car audio world.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Doesn't mean that there Isn't over priced equipment/companies out there in the car audio world.

very true. I can't say DD isn't a bit overpriced but they make good stuff so I am happy with it. perfect example. MTX Jackhammer 22" is about $10,000.

don't think that's really getting what you pay for lol.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

very true. I can't say DD isn't a bit overpriced but they make good stuff so I am happy with it. perfect example. MTX Jackhammer 22" is about $10,000.

don't think that's really getting what you pay for lol.

haha, wasn't directed towards any post specifically, just wanted to point it out. And yes, that is an extreme example but is also true. Just don't want everyone to buy things going by what they cost....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived