Well, it's looking like my next car is gonna be on the cheap, which means I may end up doing some painting work (especially if I end up with what I'm looking at). Anyone have any paint advice? I'm not looking for a show car quality job by any means, just something that'll last and look clean. I may not even do paint, but if I do I think it'd be a cool project to take on myself. I WILL be investing in a compressor and HVLP setup if I do.

Been doing some research and got some of the basics understood pretty well (spot filling pits, scotch brighting the surface and sanding, tacking before spraying, using correct paint:catalyst ratios, masking off areas, overlap, etc), but that's about it. There's a pretty good set of vids on youtube on how to to paint in your own garage, just wanted to hear from my SMD brethren since I haven't taken on such a big job before (and may never, but it's always nice to have the knowledge).

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

Eh. I considered it, but I don't wanna go matte. I want it to at least be kinda shiny.

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

Glossifier.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

Cheap affordable paint is Nason or Napa's Martin senyour paint: I have used Nason quit a bit and like it, But if you just really want paint to make it look better not show quality look into doing single stage, its the paint and clear mixed together. Unlike two stage which is your base and then clear. Also look into getting a decent size compressor something over 5hp and try to get a two stage compressor so it can recover faster. Also don't wanna skimp on the spray gun, Devilbiss is a good brand, but if you want top of the line SATA is the way to go.

sig_zps1a8d8f11.jpg

Cheap affordable paint is Nason or Napa's Martin senyour paint: I have used Nason quit a bit and like it, But if you just really want paint to make it look better not show quality look into doing single stage, its the paint and clear mixed together. Unlike two stage which is your base and then clear. Also look into getting a decent size compressor something over 5hp and try to get a two stage compressor so it can recover faster. Also don't wanna skimp on the spray gun, Devilbiss is a good brand, but if you want top of the line SATA is the way to go.

Thanks man. Yeah I've been checking out Devilbliss guns. Pretty affordable stuff for the quality that I've heard. Probably putting the cart before the horse, but it's cool to see what's out there. Do you happen to know if Summit Racing's paints are any good? Been looking at a few colors of theirs. How big of a tank? +10gal?

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

I would look into a 30 gallon tank if you can swing it. And I have never used summit paint, But for a budget job it will probably do okay. Have you decided on Two stage or single stage?

and also have you ever painted a car before?

sig_zps1a8d8f11.jpg

single stage wont last as long.

my shop only does two stabe and tri stage. tri stage is a pain in the ass but comes out amazing. two stage is like factory finish (on most cars). single stage looks good but like i said doesnt last long. id get some 1500-3000 grit sandpaper and a da sander for after you paint if doing 2 stage. after you clear, you can hit it with some 3000 grit lightly to knock down the peel or dirt nibs in the paint. then buff it with compound followed by machine polish, then hand glaze it (if a dark color) to get rid of swirls. it will be like a mirror finish after that.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me :)

and ps. all the painters in my shop use sata guns and wont use anything else because of the quality.

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

my shop only does two stabe and tri stage. tri stage is a pain in the ass but comes out amazing. two stage is like factory finish (on most cars). single stage looks good but like i said doesnt last long. id get some 1500-3000 grit sandpaper and a da sander for after you paint if doing 2 stage. after you clear, you can hit it with some 3000 grit lightly to knock down the peel or dirt nibs in the paint. then buff it with compound followed by machine polish, then hand glaze it (if a dark color) to get rid of swirls. it will be like a mirror finish after that.

and ps. all the painters in my shop use sata guns and wont use anything else because of the quality.

I have heard this from multiple painters....I don't have enough personal experience using completely different guns, but everyone I've talked to who uses sata swears by it.....unfortunately, you will pay for it; unless you can manage to snag a deal on craigslist.

I would agree with you about plastidip.....Even with the glossifier, it doesn't come close to a nice deep clear.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I would look into a 30 gallon tank if you can swing it. And I have never used summit paint, But for a budget job it will probably do okay. Have you decided on Two stage or single stage?

and also have you ever painted a car before?

I'm probably gonna go with a dark color if I get what I'm looking at. It's black, but whoever he had paint it did a cheap job. I didn't see any peeling or anything, but it's faded pretty bad and hazy in spots. I'm looking at Summit's black starburst pearl. It's single stage urethane, but I'll probably end up clearing it. It'd make me feel better if I did at least. I've never used anything but rattle can paint, but I've done some alright jobs with it as long as I took my time. I've just never tackled such a big job.

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

Archived