Second Skin Audio

Silicone?

Seymore

So I was making my friend a box for two 10"s behind the seat in his '72 F-100 (single-cab). I was kinda pissed at him because he owed me money and i knew that he didn't know jack squat about making a box, so Instead of wood gluing and then siliconing, i just over-beaded silicone in the place of wood glue and screwed it. He's been using the box for about 1-2 months now and no air leaks at all have sprung up. Is this a safe practice? it seems like and easier thing to do than wood glue + silicone.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

If you're cuts were perfect, you've got nothing to worry about. I've seen boxes that were so right, nothing was needed.

The 4th order bandpass I built a couple months so only had a silicone bead keeping the top lid on and no glue at all on the top. It never has leaked and it's solid as hell.

I would still say to glue in the future if you can since the glue bond is typically stronger than the wood itself.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Wood glue fuses the wood together. When I have cut through my doubled mdf you can't even tell it was two 3/4 sheets. If the cuts are good just wood glue should do you good. I used titebond 3.

Well, my dad's been a carpenter for 30+ years and I know his cuts are accurate. But I thought that the glue just gave the box a more air-tight seal, not that the glue holds the box together.

Ehh, it'll work either way but glue + silicone is the best. Thanks guys.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

All i use is wood glue. It it ozzes out the inside i know im good.. Then ill run my finer down the seam to spread it and the go to the next joint

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

My current box is only using glue. I initially glued and screwed then after the glue dried I removed the screws and filled the holes with bondo. Solid as a rock!

20140228_135054_zps1ca48cbe.jpg

Archived