bighossf150 Posted March 13, 2014 Report Posted March 13, 2014 The only way id do it is if you had a huge wall set up with a pa front stage, I'm seriously thinking about adding 2 tantric 8"s sealed to play from 60-160hz on a decent bit of power Used to have a loud truck 2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq 2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s
Harsh Kumar Posted March 13, 2014 Author Report Posted March 13, 2014 Once your gains are set, you shouldn't mess with them. They shouldn't be used as a volume knob. You can use a PAC LC1 or something like it to adjust the level of your bass. I can tell you this though, 4k + 18 + ported box will be a lot louder than 1k + 12 + sealed box. The 18 will sound great. It's the enclosures job to control/limit the movement of the sub and as long as it is built solid, no leaks, good tuning and placement you won't give a 2nd thought to your other idea. Go to the next/nearest show in your area. Listen to different set ups and see what you like. lol... i meant the bass control knob only, not gain. my mistake.. The only way id do it is if you had a huge wall set up with a pa front stage, I'm seriously thinking about adding 2 tantric 8"s sealed to play from 60-160hz on a decent bit of power For front stage i have planned Mids (8 drivers/4 pair) - "Pioneer TS-M800 Pro" http://www.pioneerel...ries/TS-M800PRO Highs (4 drivers/2 pair)- "Pioneer TS-B400 Pro" http://www.pioneerel...ries/TS-B400PRO
slowfkncar Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 For front stage i have planned Mids (8 drivers/4 pair) - "Pioneer TS-M800 Pro" http://www.pioneerel...ries/TS-M800PRO Highs (4 drivers/2 pair)- "Pioneer TS-B400 Pro" http://www.pioneerel...ries/TS-B400PRO The mids may be nice but those horns are more of an spl type product not very transparent or detailed however they will be incredibly loud even if underpowered,if thats what you are looking for then go for it. Please let us know how those pioneers sound btw!
rockFord_Expedition Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 Once your gains are set, you shouldn't mess with them. They shouldn't be used as a volume knob. You can use a PAC LC1 or something like it to adjust the level of your bass. I can tell you this though, 4k + 18 + ported box will be a lot louder than 1k + 12 + sealed box. The 18 will sound great. It's the enclosures job to control/limit the movement of the sub and as long as it is built solid, no leaks, good tuning and placement you won't give a 2nd thought to your other idea. Go to the next/nearest show in your area. Listen to different set ups and see what you like. lol... i meant the bass control knob only, not gain. my mistake.. Just make sure it is not the bass boost knob you are using. Those can cause clipping especially when you set your gains with the boost at zero, and then go and add boost while you are listening. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
bbeljefe Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 Everyone tells me "oh a GOOD ported box will do the job re: frequency range"Well, I've tried everything in the past, including paying the bigger name box designers to give me a design. Result: The "best" ported box's I've had couldn't scratch the ass of the worst 4th I've had. This is my opinion, on what my ear prefers. Plus, I've always ran Mmats amps, and hate the shitty inline infrasonic filters you must use. That is, unless, you like playing way below tuning with large port areas. I know there are ways around this, but it is what I prefer. I'm sure you'll now tell me how YOUR boxes can do it all. My response: Really??? I think you must be conflating bandwidth (frequency response) with acoustical gain. Bandpass alignments get their name from the fact that they do not have wide bandwidths relative to other alignments. A good ported box built correctly will have a flat response from tuning all the way to above the sub bass region. Likewise with sealed and transmission lines, although the latter also extend about an octave below tuning which gives them a lot better response than other alignments. I'm not saying that what you like is wrong but you do not get wide bandwidth from bandpass boxes. You get a falling slope below tuning (sometimes even above) and then, a little bit higher up you get another falling slope. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
ParDeus Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 This make me think I've never had a proper ported box. Even though, there is something about the sound of a 4th that I just love.
bkolfo4 Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Bandpass normally has 2 peaks (one at each end of the band). I would guess you like the peak you are getting on the lower end and are confusing it with extended frequency response. Just my guess. . . Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
bbeljefe Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Bandpass normally has 2 peaks (one at each end of the band). I would guess you like the peak you are getting on the lower end and are confusing it with extended frequency response. Just my guess. . . Sixth orders normally peak at both tuning frequencies but I've never seen a fourth that peaked twice. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
bkolfo4 Posted March 16, 2014 Report Posted March 16, 2014 Maybe I should not call them peaks. I guess it would be sag in the middle. . . 4th order can definitely have ripple at both ends of the band. Just depends on how wide you try to make it. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Harsh Kumar Posted March 17, 2014 Author Report Posted March 17, 2014 Thank you everyone, for your support & suggestions. I finally decided to go with single fi team 18, in a ported setup, maximum recommend box volume & tuning frequency around 28. The sub is rated 4000W RMS, but if I am not wrong, I can overpower it with few hundred watts (4-500).? Like say 4500W, would that be safe.? ( I am going with the extra cooling options that fi provide for customization of each sub)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.