Second Skin Audio

how do i avoid clipping my sub?????

Ok so im still at the stage of not getting my sub. im going with one 18 and i already have an amp which is a hifonics zeus 1800. i heard they are ok amps but the power may be a lil dirty. i cant install anything in the bronco yet since i still alot of repairs before its running as good as i would like it but in the mean time im buying everything so im shopping for my sub then i keep reading about clipping. i understand that its when power sullied to the sub flex to much beyound what it was design to do (odd shape sound waves) . My question is how to avoid this. Will every amp clip if not tuned right? does this have to do with the gains and what not? I also read that if the power to the amp is not even that it would cause clipping. I read that caps are crap but would using one lower clipper due to the power being stored. thanks for any help. i just dont want to connect subs to an amp and say i have a good system

Looking to buy hdc3 and sq2200 bundle. let me know

Do more research, learn as much as you can. As nasty said, find or buy a dd1 or oscope, and learn how to use it right.Clipping has a lot to do with gain along with proper electrical and a couple other factors. The best thing to do for now is read and ask specific questions.

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

Clipping doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical limits of a sub. It's about the power being sent from the amp to the sub. A clean signal will "look" like a smooth, rounded sine wave, whereas a clipped signal will have plateaus at the maximum and minimum of each wave, like it's clipping off the top of the wave. Clipping happens when the amplifier is being pushed to deliver more power than it actually can.

As an example, say you have an amp capable of producing 50 volts AC. If you have your gain up too much, or bass boost up, or something else like that, the amp might end up trying to make over 50 volts. Once it hits that 50 volt limit, that's where the output stays until the signal starts to decrease. This causes the sub to move differently which effects it's cooling capabilities and you end up frying the voice coil.

Here's a little visual reference

fig129_01_zps507fdfc9.jpg

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Avoid clipping by tuning properly. Almost all amps will deliver clean power if the electrical, install, and tuning is good. Read more about tuning on this forum.

There is no one size fits all approach for caps. In some cases they help, in others they are just an additional load on your charging system. There are a lot of variables. You can read more about that here on the forum also.

thanks everyone i just want to make sure i dont fry my sub. so lets say i dont know how to tune. would it be safeto say i just kepp the gain all the way down until i get it dail in

no cause even then, head unit might be putting out a dirty signal. like if you crank it to max volume....

depends on the head unit. mine's...dirty. 28/45 is clean. some are 100% clean and some are dirty as fuck. best to find out where the head unit starts to send that dirty signal.

Sheena = pedobear

so what should i look for from a deck to make sure i get a clean signal. i think most people go cheap on the deck. should i use a filter like i seen some people use

Archived