Triticum Agricolam Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 ... The only negative that I know about are that creating a large port you need to have a longer port length. As for the port length you should not exceed 1/12th the length of the wave you are tuning to as the air inside of the port no longer acts a single mass. ... Can you post where you heard about this? I'd just like to know more about it. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Krakin Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Can you post where you heard about this? I'd just like to know more about it.I'll try to find it right now, it is most likely in some AES paper I have. If I don't find it and forget about it either remind me on here or PM me. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
SnowDrifter Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Too big of a port also necessitates a LONG port. Too long and the port develops it's own resonances and begins to behave more like a t-line than a ported box ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
rockFord_Expedition Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Yes Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Krakin Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Too big of a port also necessitates a LONG port. Too long and the port develops it's own resonances and begins to behave more like a t-line than a ported box Not too exactly on the T-line, I wish I knew enough to explain it, but I don't. As to the resonances a port will always have its own resonance, like a pipe organ. One way to negate this resonance is to fill the inside of the port with plastic straws. I don't have the link to it, but BKolfo4 had linked it in some thread. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
bushroot Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Too big of a port also necessitates a LONG port. Too long and the port develops it's own resonances and begins to behave more like a t-line than a ported box ^ This... I was going to comment on this, but you beat me to it. This was to test my math. As it turns out, using Inventor to design the cabinet was a good idea. This one was built for a cheap Pyle 15. I've smoked one due to power handling, but at $40/ea, it was no big thing. This is what goes in the next one. Infinite baffle FI 18...
bushroot Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 By the way, the above T-line has 13.6 feet of port!
Smoove Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 Too big of a port also necessitates a LONG port. Too long and the port develops it's own resonances and begins to behave more like a t-line than a ported box ^ This... I was going to comment on this, but you beat me to it. This is what goes in the next one. Infinite baffle FI 18... that looks F***ing badass. I wanna try something like that one day. 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
bushroot Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 The smoothest low end you'll ever hear. At 17hz, my power meter slaps the side of the house!
Smoove Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 The smoothest low end you'll ever hear. At 17hz, my power meter slaps the side of the house! Sounds perfect for a Home theatre design . put a nice looking lid on that box and you have the pimpest coffee table in the neighborhood 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.