Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

When does motor force and size outweigh cone area?


dylan117

Recommended Posts

Posted

So for example there are 2 18lb subs that are 15"s and there is 1 18" thats 60llbs and has a slightly higher RMS rating than the pair of 15s only by 400rms or so over the 2 15s so would the 1 18" have a chance at being louder (say in the same tuning of box)

Posted

Tuned in for answers. Wondered this myself for a while just never knew how to ask it lol.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Very true ^^^^

Weight does not equal motor force, or better yet displacement. Which is what is really important. It depends on the vehicle, setup, and goal. Cone area is king because of how easy it is to increase displacement. But there are a couple tricks to help less cone area have more displacement and some woofers already have more displacement than other subs with greater cone area.

If you're comparing two actual 1000 watt rms 15" woofers to a single 18" 1400 watt rms woofer, that extra 400 watts isn't enough to create enough displacement to overcome the difference in cone area so in that specific example 350 > 255

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Posted

I only have one argument to make about why size isn't everything.

CES2006_66.jpg

mtxjackklein.jpg

Plenty of size, plenty of weight, still crap. And $10,000. Yet, remaining still as; $10,000 worth of heavy and sizable crap.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Posted

OP you're asking if 2 apples equal one orange. Your question might stand to get more answers if you simplified it i.e. Can one beefy 15 outperform one regular 18?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2853 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...