In all honesty bro, you might want to try and start over...

You want the fabric pulled as tight as possible (without ripping or tearing) with no wrinkles/folds.

Wrapping your entire door in fabric might be easier than just wrapping the pod. IMO (since you have your whole door sanded down anyway)

It'll be easier to get pulled tight, the folds/wrinkles out, and the contours..

I believe that is what Tacomaguy meant by it sticking correctly.

Edit: whatever the wrapped fabric looks like, is basically what the finished product will look like. Any wrinkle, fold, excess material seen before glass, will be seen after glass.

I'm here if you need any help or advice. (But pretty sure you'll get the hang of it once you've worked with it more)

In all honesty bro, you might want to try and start over...

You want the fabric pulled as tight as possible (without ripping or tearing) with no wrinkles/folds.

Wrapping your entire door in fabric might be easier than just wrapping the pod. IMO (since you have your whole door sanded down anyway)

It'll be easier to get pulled tight, the folds/wrinkles out, and the contours..

I believe that is what Tacomaguy meant by it sticking correctly.

Edit: whatever the wrapped fabric looks like, is basically what the finished product will look like. Any wrinkle, fold, excess material seen before glass, will be seen after glass.

I'm here if you need any help or advice. (But pretty sure you'll get the hang of it once you've worked with it more)

Well, that sucks then. Im out of ponte and hot glue. I did what i could today with the wrinkles.

As of last night, i had 2 layers of resin and mat on the doors. Today, I cut out the wrinkles with my dremel, and hot glued fresh ponte. Then, I laid 3 more layers of resin and mat over each door. Hopefully that does it.

As for sticking to the door, first thing this morning, I ran to HD and bought #8 screws. I heard that some GM guys do this. They basically screw the ponte to their door because resin doesnt like to stick to plastic.

I went around the perimeter of the ponte, and placed screws appropriately.. before adding the 3 more layers of mat.

I appreciate your advice :)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Little updates.. First thing this morning, before I did any more work to the doors I threw them on for a few pics. Rough, I know..

IMG_0019_zps58b4c7a1.jpg

IMG_0018_zps13b0b91c.jpg

Also.. what do I have going on??

IMG_0020_zps77e7362c.jpg

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Nice doors, 2 sets of 6.5 in each. And ya what are you going to do with the VM? lol

Nothing insane.. but should looks sweet when its done. You'll see :D

LMFAO so true

what is ponte? The fabric?

Yes, very stretchy fabric. Not only that, but it doesnt soak up a ton of resin. It was recommended to me a few times.

LMFAO so true

Looks good. I had to check out the build seeing that we are both working on door panels. I used fleece and it just cured up, it didn't soak up to much resin shockingly and turned out pretty well. I know ponte is much thinner material but does it stretch well? How did you apply your fiberglass mat? That's what im about to do now. I think your doors are gonna be fine, just a lot of sanding I see in the near future to get it nice and smooth, because its looking pretty rough. :good: Im tuned in to see how it goes

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Oh ok, just curious, never heard of it.

Btw the doors in the latest pics look a lot better than they did in the earlier pics.

I take back what I said earlier about starting over... You just have alot sanding ahead of you. lol but you should be fine.

Just remember what I said about stretching the fabric and getting a good foundation for future reference. Makes the whole process a lot easier, especially the sanding part.

Oh and I def want to see what you have up your sleeve for the vm1 :)

Looks good. I had to check out the build seeing that we are both working on door panels. I used fleece and it just cured up, it didn't soak up to much resin shockingly and turned out pretty well. I know ponte is much thinner material but does it stretch well? How did you apply your fiberglass mat? That's what im about to do now. I think your doors are gonna be fine, just a lot of sanding I see in the near future to get it nice and smooth, because its looking pretty rough. :good: Im tuned in to see how it goes

Thanks for the compliments! Ponte actually stretches extremely well in all 4 directions! I was honestly surprised.. Then again, Ive never really worked with fabric.. Only vinyl :shrug:

Alright.. heres how I applied my mat. First, I JUST applied resin/hardener and let it cure. This gave me a "base." Then, I painted that base with resin/hardener, applied mat, dabbed the mat with a bristle brush, added more resin if needed, and rolled the mat with a fiberglass roller (to get rid of the air pockets.)

Yea, theyre rough for sure.. but workable IMO :)

Oh ok, just curious, never heard of it.

Btw the doors in the latest pics look a lot better than they did in the earlier pics.

I take back what I said earlier about starting over... You just have alot sanding ahead of you. lol but you should be fine.

Just remember what I said about stretching the fabric and getting a good foundation for future reference. Makes the whole process a lot easier, especially the sanding part.

Oh and I def want to see what you have up your sleeve for the vm1 :)

Thank you! I tried to salvage what I could, and think I did REALLY well doing that. Im expecting to have to do a lot of sanding.. but I keep telling myself that it'll be worth it in the end.

Next time I do doors, which will be a while, Ill have to take your advice :good:

The VM1 project should be fun :D

LMFAO so true

Archived