Second Skin Audio

material questions

whats better to use as far as strength and sq i can get mdf for about 35 a sheet but then i saw some wicked nice birch and oak plywood thts 54-57 a sheet.

im planning to build an enclosure for 4 cu ft net. and want a tripple baffle wioth a flush beauty panel as a 4th. so the idea of having to prolly get to sheets is a realistic one.

is there any advantage to the more epensive plywoods

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

unless its 13 ply grade bb/bb wood is pretty much junk, with inner cores of douglas fir plywood, that cheap 20$ per sheet wood, filled with knot holes, with a thin 1mm veneer that is birch or oak which adds nothing for strength.

Sure its lighter than mdf, but its also less dense and weaker, not to mention almost $20 per sheet more.

Good birch 4by8 13ply panels sell for 70 plus usually.

Only true Baltic Birch I get locally is $40 per 5x5 sheet..

Find and pay for the real shit, or its not even worth it.

where do you get it from.. home depot has some nasty birch

My two cents....

When you can make a vehicle the perfect acoustical environment for audio reproduction the differences in density between baltic birch and MDF might become a factor. Until then, it's a waste of money unless your primary focus is weight.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

wieght isnt really an issue nor is cost. performance and strengh is i plan to brace the hell out it it with either material

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Archived