Whats the deal with car audio fuses

Let me start by saying i have 9 years experience with industrial electrical supplies. To my knowledge the element or link inside a fuse is designed for thermal overload protection so when the metal gets hot enough from the current it is designed to melt. So why is it that almost always the part that burns up is the wire or the connections on the ends of the fuse holder. If the connection is loose i can understand but if its a very tight connection and you run the proper wire size. Why is it burning up everywhere around the fuse but not the fuse itself....

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Oversized fuses and/or bad solder joints.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Oversized fuses and/or bad solder joints.

Good point. If they did put a over sized fuse for the size wire installed would cause the wire to burn up before the fuse.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

This has nothing to do with me personally, i have not burned up a fuse for several years but im just questioning if the fuses are doing there job or not or if it is the installers fault. I just am constantly seeing pictures of peoples fuse blocks burned up everywhere around the fuse holder. So yes poor connections or over sized fuse would cause this.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Has anyone done a proper install ( correct wire and fuse size all tight connections ) and had the wire or connections burn up before the fuse?

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I think, a lot of failure is the cheaper fuse block.

When you see any melting, (amperage pull) on the end of a cheap fuse block, even if its "tight" the materials used are poo, which really ups amperage, then heat, then failure...... Ive seen a LOT of failures on a LOT of different fuse blocks.....

My old AGU fuse holder melted (probably a combination of amperage and the fact that my engine was having overheating issues). I have since swapped it out for a MIDI fuse holder (and beefed up the wire from the 8ga CCA that my boss provided to 4ga tinned OFC)

The AGU fuse did look burnt on the inside, but it still worked. IDK if it tried to pop at one point and failed. it was previously used when I got it, because apparently my supervisor had used it before, had problems with it so he removed it and now is running unfused. I demanded that my car had to be fused, and that's what he had laying around. I'm probably the only one out of everybody that I work with that has a fuse lol.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Personally, I've never burned up a wire, or muted a connection. Good soldering and crimping technique/tools probably has something to do with it, as well as running appropriate fuses for the wire size.

I HAVE popped plenty of fuses over the years, but better that than a wire harness.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived