Sundown Audio

It's 2014, why do new amps still clip / distort?

33hz

Right, that's output. I'm saying there should be a clip indicator on the amp right next to the gain knob that analyzes the input.

JL Audio has amplifiers that have that feature iirc.

Distortion is still around though because we haven't discovered anything new about electricity that would eliminate it.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

get a BMW so that has an awesome EQ curve that lessens output resulting in lower output in higher volumes. problem solved for OP.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Ok while distortion is definitely ugly I did specifically mean it in terms of overdriving the amp to the point where it damages or blows the subwoofer, not necessarily clipping from the head unit. It seems logically that clipping is really only a threat to a sub if it's coming fr the amp redlining. The engine in our cars have limiters on the amount the user can rev the engine. Why don't amps

Basshead not audiophile

Ok while distortion is definitely ugly I did specifically mean it in terms of overdriving the amp to the point where it damages or blows the subwoofer, not necessarily clipping from the head unit. It seems logically that clipping is really only a threat to a sub if it's coming fr the amp redlining. The engine in our cars have limiters on the amount the user can rev the engine. Why don't amps

so you're expecting an amp to be able to know what size the sub is, what's it's T/S parameters, know the material all the parts are made for, than be able to determine how much power a speaker can tolerate no matter what the actual sound output is? sounds like you like the Big Brother concept.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Idk how to fix it but I do understand what ur saying. Id think make it adjustable to like stop the gain at the clipping or flip a switch to allow clipping. It seems like its a simple enough question. If ur clipped coming in then that sucks but in terms of clean signal coming it make a gain limiter to help on differently recorded songs. Seems like a simple concept. And given the tech out there it should be possible. As for the people saying set gains right:

1. Not everyone has the equipment or knowhow to set gains properly. Most people arent on forums.

2. Set to a song say. Other songs may clip or not be loud enough. Then what? Goes back to the limiter idea. Set so it gets the most power to speakers or subs without clipping.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

You obviously have much to learn about amps.

Amps just amplify a signal. You give it a big signal they only have so much room to make it bigger. You give it a small signal it has a lot more amplification it can do before it runs out of steam. You could easily add clip indicators but that just adds to the price of the amp. For example my arc audio se4200 has a clip indicator and it works pretty well, but then again its a $1500 amp (When tested against my O-scope the clip indicator came on just after clipping, In other words it was dang close but not exact). It is cheaper and easier to simply build a good amp that will amplify a signal, the more stuff you start adding to it the higher the price and the more areas that can fail.

Many amps do come with the indicators but I have seen them to be not as accurate. So given that simple fact that there are some that are not accurate, no point in wasting time trusting any of them. Until you use an 0-scope or DD-1 to verify the accuracy it shouldn't be trusted, at that point you might as well just not have one since you already using the correct tool for the job anyway. Even my arc indicates clipping after I would consider it clipping.

Ok maybe it's my limited understanding but it seem like clipping and is one of the bigger consirns when getting the most of your bass. I've seen friend blow perfectly good subs but clipping the piss out of their amp.

So why don't manufactures just design the amp to hit a limiter right at or before clipping like an engine in a car?

This seems way to obvious, I must be missing something here

Maybe not on the amp side of things, but there is new tech.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-products/smd-tools.html

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

buy a sony xlod amp they will turn off if you distort them problem solved...

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Idk how to fix it but I do understand what ur saying. Id think make it adjustable to like stop the gain at the clipping or flip a switch to allow clipping. It seems like its a simple enough question. If ur clipped coming in then that sucks but in terms of clean signal coming it make a gain limiter to help on differently recorded songs. Seems like a simple concept. And given the tech out there it should be possible. As for the people saying set gains right:

1. Not everyone has the equipment or knowhow to set gains properly. Most people arent on forums.

2. Set to a song say. Other songs may clip or not be loud enough. Then what? Goes back to the limiter idea. Set so it gets the most power to speakers or subs without clipping.

To answer 1&2

1. Forums didn't come up with the right way to set gains. That is part of you doing it yourself, you need to learn how and get the right tools. Do you change your own oil? If so you had to learn how and get the tools to do so. Just because I understand the concept of an engine and have one in my car doesn't mean I'm and expert at changing them or tuning them. If I don't have to correct tools or know how I should never touch the component in question and should take it straight to and expert to do right. This first point is the biggest problem with DIY, thinking you know how and screwing stuff up.

2. You don't set gains to a song. This second point just shows you don't know how to set gains. I'm not trying to single you out or talk down to you, I'm just pointing out that many people think they know but really don't. You set the gains to the equipment, not a specific song. Once set it will play any song you want. The recording may be bad or clipped but your equipment won't be adding to it.

Again not trying to single you out, you just happened to bring up points that others also think are valid but have a flawed understanding of the workings of this equipment.

Archived