Miguels Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 Two of the same sub can have issues if they are in different locations. Why would have different amounts if excursion make them cancel? Heck, all 6 drivers in my wall had different excursion just by the non-symmetric design. . . What exactly "cancels"? When I think cancels, I think phase issue. Just because they are different drivers, there should not be a phase issue if they are next to each other. Cones should be moving the same direction at any given time. tell me how that didn't hurt your score.. subs playing out of phase hurts your score on the meter i said maybe it wont cancel each other but it will hurt scores or how the subs will sound.. get a Mayhem on a 500 watt amp and a kicker cvr wired together and tell me which sub will move more.. im sure as hell the mayhem wont even flinch on that power while the cvr is giving full excursion my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Krakin Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 Different excursion doesn't mean it of phase. It just means the pressure in front of and behind are not the same. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Miguels Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 Different excursion doesn't mean it of phase. It just means the pressure in front of and behind are not the same. cool beans.. but still hurts scores my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Krakin Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 There is a difference between 2+1 and 2-1 Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
OrionStang Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 Regardless of the dynamics, parameters, 'reasons', like subs will always sound better than different subs. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
bkolfo4 Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 The mayhem may not move, and the kicker may be going crazy, but they will still add. I posted a while back an experiment in my vehicle - MTX shallow mount 12" and an AA chaos 10" playing together. More output with both vs. one or the other (verified with a meter), and nothing out of the ordinary to the way it sounded by ear. If you didn't look in my back seat, you would have never known it was 2 totally different subs being driven by the same mono amp. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
OrionStang Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 The mayhem may not move, and the kicker may be going crazy, but they will still add. I posted a while back an experiment in my vehicle - MTX shallow mount 12" and an AA chaos 10" playing together. More output with both vs. one or the other (verified with a meter), and nothing out of the ordinary to the way it sounded by ear. If you didn't look in my back seat, you would have never known it was 2 totally different subs being driven by the same mono amp. BUT, did you test, or would you even just concur, that a pair of one or the other would be better than the mix-match? That is, after all, the subject of this post. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Phaeton Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 The mayhem may not move, and the kicker may be going crazy, but they will still add. I posted a while back an experiment in my vehicle - MTX shallow mount 12" and an AA chaos 10" playing together. More output with both vs. one or the other (verified with a meter), and nothing out of the ordinary to the way it sounded by ear. If you didn't look in my back seat, you would have never known it was 2 totally different subs being driven by the same mono amp. BUT, did you test, or would you even just concur, that a pair of one or the other would be better than the mix-match? That is, after all, the subject of this post. everyone agrees. 1997 subaru legacy outback Four 15's in a almost wall Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass Optima Yellow top batteries 270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) Lots of Second Skin
bkolfo4 Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 I can't say it sounded any different than my normal pair of 12" MTX, but it was not as loud. The point of the post was can he run the 2 different drivers, and my point was the answer "no, they will cancel" is incorrect. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
timc31610 Posted June 24, 2014 Report Posted June 24, 2014 I say go for it, they are separated so no harm should come to either sub. Will it sound as good as two of the same? Who knows. Try it and let us know. I have and am currently running two different subs in my truck. I buy and sell subs often. I have my everyday sub which is a SQ HDS312, in it's own box. I am currently trying to sell two SA12's on CL so I keep them with me in case an opportunity arises. Since I normally have a single twelve in my truck and always want to be louder I hooked up the two SA's. Does it sound bad? Hell no! It is crazy loud and my bandwidth is higher, the SQ box is tuned pretty low, the SA box is tuned in the mid to upper 30's. I can't hear any cancellation at all, of course I do not have a highly trained ear or an RTA so I could be wrong. Would I make this my permanent setup? Nope, would rather have matching subs because I think it would look better and in my mind I think they would sound better. My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.