Sundown Audio

What is your thought? Amp wired DOWN, sounds....... meh?

Kyblack76

SQ is so subjective it shouldn't even be in the topic.

Kylar, the rant about your car running 4 degrees hotter today made me laugh because I do the same shit with the accord, mechanically and audio wise.

I think there is a sweet spot between .5 and .7 to get amps right at the low 1ohm range. (Smaller boxes at .5 and larger boxes at .7) I know it won't be 1ohm for the whole spectrum but I do believe there is a nice sweet spot where amps don't protect instantly, they don't have the wired too low sound, and they put out every bit of power you expect.

Looking forward to the upgrade Kylar.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

when i went from 2ohms strpped to .5 strapped i thought it sounded different too. didnt sound quite right. Cant explain it though

nope... dont need to...

i feel ya....

I will say, skar 1500's will take .25 if you dont clip. which is pretty damn cool. (yes rise is a factor) but i only protect on the White clouds drop if i am above my -10db set point by about 2db. I'm tuned at 32hz i think. Take it for what you will.

It was more "intense" i guess? i don't know. i won't chance cooking my amps running like that daily though.

Running higher impedance almost always sounds better. Also somebody did a 7K roundup on a couple forums where he compared various 7K amps and the numbers made with high voltage were better than the numbers with high current with the same or more clamped "power".

Nominal impedance is absolutely meaningless when people say "I run .25 ohm all day err day". Use a current clamp and voltmeter or buy Dayton DATS or WT3 to run impedance sweep to see what actual impedance your amp is driving at any given frequency.

All,

the .7 i make mention being "the sweet spot" is FOR MY enclosure.

Ive ran the Damore ImSg up and down my junk.

What i see, or saw, was when i ran the .35 method, on a reactive play, i was almost NEVER over 1 ohm. Where i expected around closer to 1.5xx ohm reactive.

No wonder my amps, my alts, my bats, my ears where not happy.

This is MY enclosure. Again, some can wire to .125 and make the amp work, and play. (band passes with some type of ratio where rise is HUGE)

But for me?!.. no...

Id rather just buy more amplification. And hope i can power it. (alternator, and bank/caps)

That said, wired where im at now?!.. i can run idle, and do a bass race run around 34hz,... and hold over battery rest. Which means, my 400 amps worth of alt, AT idle..are fine, and,... i got more in my back pocket :)

So, ill add more alt... (go large hair pin from my 350 old school) as well as add, like 2 or 4 more 7500's,.. IF IF if it get that far. :)

I think those that do it, and do well, ... i think are cool, and i see them as doing some killer work.

ME? im gonna just add more amplification...... (and back up)

IN my world... its worth it.... :shrug:

No point in trying to squeeze 4k out of a 3k by wiring lower and sacrificing your amp in the mean time. Instead buy a 4k and wire higher for reliability and peace of mind.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Hmmm

Now I'm curious

Wired at .35 daily. I wonder how it would sound at 1.4

Fuuuu I'm too lazy for this

Archived