Why should I run active?

Slinky

I need someone to explain to me why I should run active as opposed to passive for my mids and highs. I have (at least I think I have) all the necessary ingredients to run an active setup but I don't really see the point.

My equipment,

2 sets of Rockford T1675-S components on a Soundqubed Q4-120.

Factory deck, but I have a Rockford 360.3 that everything is connected to.

I may be switching to DD soon but thats what I have for now. Basically I don't see the point in running active if all it does is allow you to change the crossover slopes and tweak the power to each driver. I feel like using the crossovers included with the components sounds good already. Is there something I'm missing? Where's the appeal?

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

It allows you to correct defects in the response due to the speaker, if you have an RTA you can measure response to get a "flatter" response along with finding baffle defraction to get the most optimal crossovers, along with being able to run able to time align if you haven't already (Idk if 360.3 has that).

You also get to avoid the negative affects that the components in a crossover can have.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Components fluctuate their crossover points under loads. Not by a ton but they do, just do to impedance and power going through them. Active will always be exactly what you set the crossover points to since it is done electronically before the signal is amplified. Also in my experience you get much better response and output from speakers when ran active. Also if running active you have more control of time alignment since each speaker can be controlled.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

I have (at least I think I have) all the necessary ingredients to run an active setup but I don't really see the point.

With no offense to you, you lack the one most important component to running active successfully, and that's knowledge. You may have the hardware, but not the software. Search that topic on this forum read up and ask questions as needed to clarify.

When your ready you wont be asking should I run active you'll be telling us what you benefited from running active and how you went about doing it.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Numerous benefits. Will you notice any of them? Probably not, based simply on you asking this question.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Wow, so two helpful responses, and two complete assholes. Thanks to Krakin and Robert for the info.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Numerous benefits. Will you notice any of them? Probably not, based simply on you asking this question.

Hey prick, fuck you. You have no idea how forums work do you. Reread my post, reread your response, and then ask yourself why I think you are an asshole.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Wow, so two helpful responses, and two complete assholes. Thanks to Krakin and Robert for the info.

Your welcome for being an asshole. Apparently you cant read as my first line clearly stated I wasn't trying to offend. So now I'll just say go fuck yourself I hope you fry your shit. If you think the shit your running already sound good why are you looking for someone to convince you to do something else? Seriously you douche bag, get a clue use the search key and decide for yourself

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Archived