Why should I run active?

Slinky

Oh Shit ... Crazy thread here !!!

It's all about application and how you plan to operate your system brother.

Going fully active can hurt your system if you do not understand how active works. Trucst me, I've seen it.

If you have a pair of component sets (I'm asuming 2-way) in your vehicle, to go fully active you will need 8 channels of amplifier power.

meaning you will need a pair of 4 channel amplifiers.

From what I'm gathering with thread, It seems that there is ALOT of work that can be done to what you have already to make your system work better.

First thing I would do (and please, this is only a suggestion) is to deactivate your processor and optimise your system running passive.

Then work your way into active.

Now before you start telling me that I'm full of shit, Please understand that in my Sound Quality competition vehicles ... I'm fully passive on my components.

AND WILL NEVER CHANGE. Optimise what you have to it's full potiental, than add active processing if you see that you truely need it.

Most people run active processing just because everyone else runs active processing and generally have no idea why that processor is in their vehicle.

No if you can post pics of your front stage or send me a link to pics, I will study them and try to help you any way I can to improve stage and image.

Hope this helps.

Randal

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Oh Shit ... Crazy thread here !!!

It's all about application and how you plan to operate your system brother.

Going fully active can hurt your system if you do not understand how active works. Trucst me, I've seen it.

If you have a pair of component sets (I'm asuming 2-way) in your vehicle, to go fully active you will need 8 channels of amplifier power.

meaning you will need a pair of 4 channel amplifiers.

From what I'm gathering with thread, It seems that there is ALOT of work that can be done to what you have already to make your system work better.

First thing I would do (and please, this is only a suggestion) is to deactivate your processor and optimise your system running passive.

Then work your way into active.

Now before you start telling me that I'm full of shit, Please understand that in my Sound Quality competition vehicles ... I'm fully passive on my components.

AND WILL NEVER CHANGE. Optimise what you have to it's full potiental, than add active processing if you see that you truely need it.

Most people run active processing just because everyone else runs active processing and generally have no idea why that processor is in their vehicle.

No if you can post pics of your front stage or send me a link to pics, I will study them and try to help you any way I can to improve stage and image.

Hope this helps.

Randal

Randal,

Contrary to what it seems, I won't tell you you're full of shit if you aren't. I'm a super nice guy to people that are nice to me. I will try and get a picture here soon of my components and how they sit in the car.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

With a 3sixty you can independently (ie: for each speaker):

1. Adjust speaker levels

2. Adjust speaker EQ settings

3. Adjust time alignment

4. Adjust crossover settings (and not just frequency but slope as well)

5. Maybe more with the 3sixty.3 but I haven't used one yet.

All in all it gives you more control over individual speakers, but with great power comes great responsibility! You no longer have any of the protections built into the passive crossovers.

Also, it's takes a fuck ton of time to set everything so that you actually hear a benefit. It's A LOT of work.

Also I see now that you will be running 2 sets of components on a 4 channel amp. You won't be adjusting these settings for each speaker but for each channel of the amp. So the right channel your tweets are on can be adjusted independently of the left channel your tweets are on. Same for the mids. Does that make sense?

So this is basically what I knew already but I guess I just didn't think it would make enough of a difference for it to be worth it to switch. I really wish I had the proper equipment to analyze everything so I could set up my time alignments and what not. I may start hunting down someone with a mic to make this happen. It all makes sense, yes.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Mic ?? What for ?? Use your ear to time align.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Why is it that you spend time on here providing nothing for those asking questions? If all anyone ever did on forums was search, there wouldn't be any posts to search from. I wanted people to convince me why I should run active, not tell me I need knowledge. Go fuck yourself.

If you think I spend time on here with the intent to do nothing for those looking for help you are truly even more clueless than what I initially gave you credit for.

And if you didn't finish reading my post then again, your not getting the point, or in the case of the post the attempt to inform you.

It's funny how you open the door to the insults, yet when it's turned back on you it's cry baby time.

Who threw the 1st stone.........You

Why, because you didn't like the answer you got. so who's trashing this forum? Yup, you!

I'm a self admitted asshole, no question about it. I wear the title proudly. And if I'm going to go fuck myself, I'm going to make sure I cum all over you.

Have a Blessed Day

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Mic ?? What for ?? Use your ear to time align.

careful!!!

You might say something he doesn't want to hear and be lumped in with us assholes!!!

God dammit dude fucking quit it already. Why are you still here?

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

This is a picture of my soundstage.

I tried fucking around with alignments by ear for a brief period when I first hooked up the 360 but didnt really set anything in stone. I guess Ill try again and see if I can get it sounding better.

Edit: There are 2 tweeters and 2 mids on each side and a 3.5 inch center channel. One of the tweeters is in the factory location so you can't really see it in the pic but I have labeled it red.

IMG_20140729_153152_zpsacffe2ab.jpg

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Archived