bigmizzle99 Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 If I'm at the volume where clipping is (set using a DD-1) and I still want to turn it up, I think it means I need more amp power and a sub to handle that power or adding another sub to achieve a certain level of loudness without clipping. Am I right? On certain bass heavy songs, when I'm at clipping, there is some non-musical harshness that I don't like. When I back off a tick or 2, it disappears. I have a single DC Lvl 2 12 wired to 2ohm and a R1200.1 that is rated at 800w @ 2ohm. Camaro SS Build Altima build 2.0 Altima build 1.0
russ7000 Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 i am dealing with something like that where my subs start to distort at a certain level.... in my situation though my amp has plenty of power.... so im thinking adding another sub to get the bass level I am looking for...... my highs and mids are good and clear I just need that extra level or 2 of lows to get that balance.....
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 That's how this addiction goes it's never enough. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
FCS530 Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 Most of us on this forum have the same problem! It's never enough! Do I need more power? YES! Do I need more subs? YES! Can I afford it? NO! Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing! 2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1) 2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4) 2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4) 2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2) 2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)
russ7000 Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 LOL !!!!!!! so your saying im like pookie in new jack city ... "it just keeps calling me "
notorious97200 Posted July 31, 2014 Report Posted July 31, 2014 Don't worry too much about power, for daily music listenings. If you can properly fit a second lvl 2 12", do it ! If not, maybe a different sub would help : get a DVC2 sub, to run your amp at 1 Ohm. You can try a sub that can handle way more power, use it on 1200 w until you can run more power safely. black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp OEM head unit, Amplifiers : Audison AP 8.9 with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200. Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats. 2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a sealed box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.
bigmizzle99 Posted July 31, 2014 Author Report Posted July 31, 2014 Don't worry too much about power, for daily music listenings. If you can properly fit a second lvl 2 12", do it ! If not, maybe a different sub would help : get a DVC2 sub, to run your amp at 1 Ohm. You can try a sub that can handle way more power, use it on 1200 w until you can run more power safely. That is exactly what I'm thinking. I can do either. If I double the power (by wiring down to 1 ohm) , I'm getting a 3dB increase. What does adding a second driver do, besides more cone area...does that equate to an increase in dBs? If I do that I'll also double the power (approximately) but it would be for 2 drivers. Camaro SS Build Altima build 2.0 Altima build 1.0
notorious97200 Posted August 2, 2014 Report Posted August 2, 2014 Power won't really double by playing at 1 Ohm, and you'll have more output : +3db in theory ! If you double cone area : you should have another increase in output; 3 db in theory too ! Do both and you'll love it. It will be much louder, but don't expect a 6db increase. It's possible, with a good box, but not granted. Have fun with your system black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp OEM head unit, Amplifiers : Audison AP 8.9 with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200. Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats. 2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a sealed box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.
TRON Posted August 2, 2014 Report Posted August 2, 2014 "Certain bass heavy songs" are probably clipped on their own. Unless you've bought the music off iTunes, another trusted music distributor of you ripped it from a CD, you can't guarantee that your music is clean. That's the problem with almost every "bass boosted" song as well, most guys just grab a song and EQ the low end all the way up without even re compressing it...In short: Shit in, Shit out. But seriously, more power. Avalanche Alpine Type S comps Alpine Type S 10'' Alpine MPR-F300 Alpine MRX-M50 Mechamn 270 XS Power d3400s
Joe X Posted August 2, 2014 Report Posted August 2, 2014 If I'm at the volume where clipping is (set using a DD-1) and I still want to turn it up, I think it means I need more amp power and a sub to handle that power or adding another sub to achieve a certain level of loudness without clipping. Am I right? On certain bass heavy songs, when I'm at clipping, there is some non-musical harshness that I don't like. When I back off a tick or 2, it disappears. I have a single DC Lvl 2 12 wired to 2ohm and a R1200.1 that is rated at 800w @ 2ohm. So how is your subsonic filter set at?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.