mothra Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 if he's a professional why not just look him up and see what he puts on the door? if nothing changes, nothing changes You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know
MrSkippyJ Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 or just address him as Dr. so and so and if he doesn't want to be called that he will let you know. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
hispls Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 A title replaces a first name. So if Joe Smith is a doctor, he would correctly be "Doctor Smith". This also goes with military and police. Their rank or title is their first name, so they would be Corporal Smith, Lieutenant Smith, etc. People who EARN titles or ranks typically appreciate being addressed as that formally, IMO it's polite to give credit where due. Even if a doctorate is in math or something I assure you that person paid a shitload of money and worked their arse off for it.
Jessica Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 refer to them as Grand Pu-bah. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Souldrop Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 All Dr. refers to is someone who has obtained a doctoral degree. What does it hurt to try and give them credit for their accomplishments? It's better to be more formal than less especially when developing a new contact. Once you meet him in person he may ask you to call him something different, but for now play it safe. I know when I get my doctorate I won't really care, but at the same time I know some people are sticklers about being called Dr. so and so (not many but a few). I would go with Dr. "Last name" first. 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
MrSkippyJ Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 All Dr. refers to is someone who has obtained a doctoral degree. What does it hurt to try and give them credit for their accomplishments? It's better to be more formal than less especially when developing a new contact. Once you meet him in person he may ask you to call him something different, but for now play it safe. I know when I get my doctorate I won't really care, but at the same time I know some people are sticklers about being called Dr. so and so (not many but a few). I would go with Dr. "Last name" first. i bet you will change your mind pretty quickly once you earn that title. Especially in professional settings. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Ahmed Johnson Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 The thought of Dr. n8 banning dumbasses got me cracking up.
Souldrop Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 In a professional setting it goes without saying that unless people are on a first name basis that Dr. is the default title, but for students it's not like I would ream them a new one if they called me Mr. Now given the fact the OP knows the guy has a doctorate and is asking him for a favor then he should address him as such until told otherwise. The contact may turn into a valuable asset of gaining experience in the field and a LOR if he is able to go further than shadowing. 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
Guest Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 I've had professors who clearly state in their syllabus that it is inappropriate to address them as "Dr." because that name title is designated for those in the medical field, not educational doctorates. You should be fine. It isn't designated for the medical field though. You had some weird professors. No argument there, they were mostly acid-flashback english teachers I clearly remember one kid getting bitched out for calling a teacher "Doctor Alscher" (Alshcer being his last name) Although his name was written Dr. Peter Alscher.
n8ball2013 Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 The thought of Dr. n8 banning dumbasses got me cracking up. Ive considered continuing school to that level but its worthless in my field. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.