Sundown Audio

Amp Question

DJ JDub

Most subs die due to underpowering/clipping..... headroom is always better imo

dafuq did i just read?!?!?!? Under powering is not the issue. People with Bass knobs and not setting gains properly is the issue. Under powering with clean signal does NOT ruin subs. Clipping and distortion do.

No, it's not... but it's not 100% of the rated power before clipping either.

How do you know that?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That's your definition of headroom... What if the amplifier pushes 1700w @ 1OHM but it can go down to .8OHM's and push 2200w, showing more potential. There are a lot more factor's involved when your amplifier is capable of more than it's rated and does not heat up when at it's intended rated power by the manufacture. That's why you don't buy a crap amplifier.

Show me an amp that does 1700@1 and [email protected]

Headroom is nice and allows you to have the option for more power if it's needed in the future. If you buy a quality amplifier, it shouldn't get hot under full load.

I currently have a 1700w amplifier powering a 1200w sub and I have to be mindful of my power settings, because I can melt my voice coil if I push it more than 50%. But the nice thing is, it gave me headroom for a second sub, so now i'll be able to push my amplifier to it's full capability and I don't have to worry about destroying my equipment.

You should also do your research before you purchase an amplifier. There are many amplifiers out there that push more than they are rated. Like the crescendo S1500.1 can push almost 1900w in dynamic RMS.

What are you even talking about? You can melt your coils if you give them 50% clean power? What?

Here, I was a little off... it does a little over 2,000 @ .8OHM @ 5:13

As for 50%... Yes, if I put my gain @ 50% with the amplifier that is in that video, I can smell my subwoofer if I crank the volume to 75%.

You can't just turn the gain knob to half way and think you're set safe or at 50 percent like you think. You need to research setting gains because you're so horribly wrong.

So just to clarify, should I go with the 1500W amp or the 1200W amp if I have two 600W RMS subwoofers being ran by it.

I'd put them on a 1500

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

That's your definition of headroom... What if the amplifier pushes 1700w @ 1OHM but it can go down to .8OHM's and push 2200w, showing more potential. There are a lot more factor's involved when your amplifier is capable of more than it's rated and does not heat up when at it's intended rated power by the manufacture. That's why you don't buy a crap amplifier.

You're not going to see a 500 watt increase from dropping down .2 ohms. Maybe big MAYBE see some numbers like that running on .5... but that is a big maybe.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Archived