Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
Finally started a new project im my "new" car!


1998 Omega B

20140825_145810_zpsnmzqilga.jpg


My plan is to keep building a bit over the winter and spring to get ready for next years car and car audio meets/competitions. This Isn't an spl oriented build as I want it to play low and awesome with a clear front stage, but I'll still do my best with what I end up getting. I'll be participating at least :)


What I get as far as equippment will be revealed as I get it. I have a plan, but I might change my mind so I won't say anything just yet!


What I am clear on so far is that I'm rebuilding my front doors, and that's where I'll start this project. The doors will house two 6.5"s each and I'll have a pair of tweets in either the a-pillars or in stock location if it'll fit. To begin with I'll see if my Tang Band speakers might work in a car, so you'll se those in the pics. So lets get to building :)


This is what I have to work with

20140904_154328_zps9hzns2zm.jpg


Behind the panel and plastic

20140904_161439_zpsvctv6uwa.jpg


Teardown

20140904_161526_zpsogzvowqh.jpg

¨

Theese are the different parts the doors consists of, partly screwed and glued

20140904_162658_zps2sibnqcw.jpg


The glue was sto strong so I couldn't just pull the old fabric off

20140904_175931_zpsqtggjyzr.jpg


On the bright side the resin etc. should get a good grip on this, might drill a few holes as well

20140904_182139_zps8hgmgnfz.jpg


Theese are the parts I'll be altering, the rest will be left stock

20140904_183701_zpso9crosj3.jpg


After I have my plan of attack, I'll get to making some speaker "rings"


Made a little sketchup drawing to figure out my dimentions

omegadoslashr_zpsf9e805fc.jpg


I spent som time making the first piece

20140904_223803_zpscu0o4g4s.jpg


When it's done I'll use it as a template to make the others. This is much easier with the right tools so I made my own little thrown together router table

20140905_142103_zpsxqpreemp.jpg


Then I made the ruff cuts

20140905_142210_zpssn598ss5.jpg


Put on some double sided tape

20140905_143516_zpslnz4en5h.jpg

20140905_142613_zpsmkwulkyc.jpg


Then let the flush trim bit do it's job

20140905_150141_zps4mwvxv91.jpg


Theese will be the outer rings. I used a rabbeting bit to get my desired inner diameter

20140905_151837_zpsnmm0auog.jpg


This is how they ended up with a little 45 for good looks

20140905_153812_zpsrghprz8a.jpg


45'd the rear of the speaker holes

20140905_153805_zpss6kytbfi.jpg


Done, just need to be glued together

20140905_153826_zpsmjtwugvo.jpg


Checking fitment

20140905_155156_zpsevvxxdkq.jpg


The depth is alowing me to add some sort of speaker grille


Just enough clearance for vinyl




That's all I have for now!

There will be updates as I make progress :P

Posted

nice. need the list of router buts you used.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear






dc_audio.jpg

Posted

nice. need the list of router buts you used.

A small straight/plain router bit for the circle cutouts

Flush trim bit to copy parts

Chamfer bit to make 45s

Rabbeting bit to shrink parts

Posted

Update time :)

Figuring out placement, moved up 1cm from this20140906_173620_zpsd9csisl8.jpg

The point of no return
20140906_175234_zpsdjn6pgux.jpg

Building a base
20140908_183816_zpslrpghrfc.jpg

Needed two more of theese
20140908_185406_zpsxxd97m1s.jpg

Put theese together with 4cm spacers at fiirst, but this isn't gonna work so I'll cut holes in the doors so I can shorten it down a bit. I think that would've been the best idea from the beginning.

20140908_220917_zpsp8ii2tvk.jpg
20140908_222201_zpskrjrdgyx.jpg
20140908_222210_zpsxxnbm2qu.jpg
20140908_222907_zpsfabdmmdt.jpg
20140908_222918_zpspbmpnjqa.jpg

Posted

Enden up with no spacing at all
20140909_144443_zpsijjqqycc.jpg

Holes
20140909_143123_zps9hlve5hd.jpg

Mounting for the "pod"
20140909_144720_zps58xs8wkt.jpg

Getting there
20140909_150232_zpstxrdkffp.jpg
20140909_150501_zpswd8c2swn.jpg
20140909_151154_zpsictezj5l.jpg
20140909_152130_zpshf0dtfj6.jpg
20140909_153100_zpsnvdnkgmb.jpg
20140909_154411_zpszbrqvgtd.jpg

One door ready for fabric and fibreglass, I'll do it while it's on the door so I'm sure to get good fitment.

Posted

Made a bit of progress on the other door as well
20140909_180414_zpsacnjosch.jpg
20140909_193436_zpsf9vy8ile.jpg
20140909_201018_zpsd7wzunzo.jpg

Only missing the little mdf ring, then I can mount the rest of the door panel and get it ready for glassing :)

Posted

A few minutes work later
20140910_143327_zpsjvkag7ij.jpg

Then It started to rain
20140910_143944_zpsgcroonoz.jpg

After a little break I could continue

Got ome fleece
20140910_152955_zpsblaq24b3.jpg

First staple
20140910_154056_zpskuyl5djh.jpg

Top row done, was a bit easier access without the top halve on
20140910_160830_zpsclgxaiqy.jpg

Put it back on after I trimmed the fleece down
20140910_162857_zps7rowis4f.jpg

Completely stapled
20140910_181155_zpsrtcomrq8.jpg

After resin
20140910_194034_zpsmzg2skk2.jpg

That's all I got done today :)

Comments are welcome

Posted

Now that it's hard it seems to be strong enough for me to take it of the door to lay down some fibreglass.

20140911_123958_zpsbtkci4fu.jpg

Taken off and sanded down

20140911_231901_zpsl3zabxuv.jpg

Two layers of mat

20140912_001703_zpsr5edndpb.jpg

20140912_001710_zpsvooeryh7.jpg

20140912_001734_zpsf1zeladb.jpg

It's coming along nicely I think :)

Posted

I have some more progress pics :)

Removed all excess fibreglass
20140915_150708_zpsuu76r24c.jpg
20140915_150720_zps29c0okg8.jpg

Keeping the original mounting spots
20140915_154924_zpsmqvod5mb.jpg

Not even a full layer of filler and the shape is pretty much there
20140915_174809_zpsstszcphj.jpg

Continuing on the other door
20140915_202248_zps7flvbrzz.jpg
20140915_203943_zpsd4xl3r4q.jpg
20140915_215221_zps92lwth04.jpg

Had to do have a look at it
20140915_203000_zpsiblxiynr.jpg

If the resin actually hardens in this cold I'll be laying some fibreglass tonight :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1081 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...