Second Skin Audio

Box Rattle

After completing my box and putting my FI SSD 12 in, I started playing it and noticed a rattle. I figured it would because I don't have the top of my box glued down at the moment and is just screwed down so that was shaking quite a bit. I held it down while it was still playing and that went away but I noticed there is a sort of boomy hammer on wood noise, I've never heard before. I heard before that some people put sound dampener on the inside of the box. Is this a good idea and would you recommend I do this? My box is ported btw.

After completing my box and putting my FI SSD 12 in, I started playing it and noticed a rattle. I figured it would because I don't have the top of my box glued down at the moment and is just screwed down so that was shaking quite a bit. I held it down while it was still playing and that went away but I noticed there is a sort of boomy hammer on wood noise, I've never heard before. I heard before that some people put sound dampener on the inside of the box. Is this a good idea and would you recommend I do this? My box is ported btw.

Or you can glue and screw the top down and try again if it makes that noise...usually fiberglass inside the box, i haven't seen any box yet with sound dampener in them...

Or you can glue and screw the top down and try again if it makes that noise...usually fiberglass inside the box, i haven't seen any box yet with sound dampener in them...
That's the only problem.. If I glue it down it's not coming back off.. Like I said when i held it down the rattle went away but there was a hammer on wood kind of noise

Post pics of the box without the top. Sometimes in bandpass boxes you can do an access to service the subs but in ported/sealed I can't figure out why you have the top off honestly.

Try and see of PL, and then maybe glass/mat solves it.

HOWEVER.. This kinda makes me think about the integrity of the rest of the box..

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Post pics of the box without the top. Sometimes in bandpass boxes you can do an access to service the subs but in ported/sealed I can't figure out why you have the top off honestly.

If it is a bandpass, he can still use threaded inserts and machine screws, along with cork or a bead of silicone to seal it all up. Would still be removable, and the gasket material would provide some tension between the faces of the wood once everything was torqued in place.

Pics of the box in question would solve a lot of these "what ifs".

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Why does it matter if it can come back off? Build the fucking box right and be done with it.

The only reason I didn't glue it down yet is because I wanted to see if there was any problem with the box....

If you can hold it down and the problem goes away, the logical thing to do is what islandpride said.

The rattle is the only part that goes away.. For the third time of me saying it, there is still a hammer on wood type of noise that I can hear, this is what I'm trying to solve...

I just asked a simple question guys..

Did you brace the the box? baffle flex sounds like a hammer on wood. Also is the rest of the box glued?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived