Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

So how hot can a subwoofer get before you burn it up?


JeepAndBassXJ

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a set of reconed fosgate HX2 subs. I'm using PSI's 1000 watt RMS flat wind coils in the speakers and have had no problems so far. I have been over powering them for about a month now and they do get hot but not hot enough to be concerned.

I want to buy a infrared thermometer gun just to see how hot the speakers get; really for the fun of it.

The question is how hot can voice coils safely get before causing damage? I know that cheaper speakers can't take the heat as well as better ones, I assume my PSIs are among the better speakers out there?


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JeepAndBass

Website: https://www.jeepandbass.com/

Picture1.png.a51bb49318e5269e42f12284828c2bb6.png

My Jeep: 157.3dB @26hz Drag Style 162.3dB @36Hz Outlaw 160.7db @35hz Headrest

My Honda: 155.4dB Drag Style 158.0db Outlaw 

Posted

every speaker will be different.

It comes down to the coil, and the cooling in the woofer and how effective that cooling is, box design, and the power giving to the woofer..

The woofer could have cooling ports galore but if its not effective its not doing a thing.

That said, just because you use some uber high power voice coil, it doesnt make it the best around.

 

 

Posted

every speaker will be different.

It comes down to the coil, and the cooling in the woofer and how effective that cooling is, box design, and the power giving to the woofer..

The woofer could have cooling ports galore but if its not effective its not doing a thing.

That said, just because you use some uber high power voice coil, it doesnt make it the best around.

size also.. just for soak up..

and i agree......

edit- also, .. power, enclosure, tune, play, on and on and on..

this song (hz) cools like a boss, this one dont... fuck..... the coil may not even be the factor.. lol

Posted

had my dustcap up in the high 150, low 160 range a few times...without smoke.

No idea how hot it was both times it went poof. But my box design really fucking sucked for the positioning of the woofer....didn't cool well at all.

Moral of the story is don't act stupid and you won't have a problem :)

(acting stupid aka playing uber low and clipped to tits songs just to show off)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Posted

had my dustcap up in the high 150, low 160 range a few times...without smoke.

No idea how hot it was both times it went poof. But my box design really fucking sucked for the positioning of the woofer....didn't cool well at all.

Moral of the story is don't act stupid and you won't have a problem :)

(acting stupid aka playing uber low and clipped to tits songs just to show off)

3 hours of demoing...... then competing, then more demoing in 111 degree's. Hell my RF 4 channel shut off. Thats how hot.

I pulled 190 LASER THERMAL read on my cap.

(i have a laser reader, that i use to use for my alts ..lol)

I played for about 2 hours more........

(ill admit i was kinda spoked..)

EDIT- still.. not burnt leads.. none of that "shit"......... ;)

Still running the same drivers i bought 2 years ago. ;)

Posted

I was told around 500deg on mine....

"unwind or failiure will occure give or take a few deg's at 500"

fuck if they dont seem to wanna get there at times.. lol

But see, that's coil temp. Same location I've always been told too. How that translates to dustcap temperature or mag temp is the key though, since that's all we have to measure (except those few that have pretty exposed coils).

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

Kyle be like... Screw you thermal recommendations, I run FI...

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Posted

I was told around 500deg on mine....

"unwind or failiure will occure give or take a few deg's at 500"

fuck if they dont seem to wanna get there at times.. lol

But see, that's coil temp. Same location I've always been told too. How that translates to dustcap temperature or mag temp is the key though, since that's all we have to measure (except those few that have pretty exposed coils).

No.. your totally correct.

Its like how hot your amp heat sinks get.. fuck.. add to that shit on the board FOOOOO SHOOOOWWW.....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4563 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...