Second Skin Audio

jl audio 13w7 recoil to dual 1 ohm?

sinful7

I noticed a place that sells new coils to change from dual 1.5 ohm coils to dual 1 ohm coils.. how hard is it to recone one? and is there a view or a diy walk through on the net somewhere?? SOunds like a good solution to run at 2ohms since that is where my amp is supposed to work at not 3 ohm..

anyone have any helpful thoughts or ideas? and i have searched and nothing on w7 other subs but not the w7 and i have no idea if they are different or not when putting in the new voice coil?

I wouldn't bother. There's videos on youtube in regards of a recone. Try running at 3 ohms and see if it sounds good enough to your linking. I would be more worried about aftermarket kits lining up correctly.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

You're really defeating the purpose of a W7 by using anything other than OEM softparts. I'd suggest buying a different amp and stick with the W7, or buying a different woofer.

If the W7 would function as intended with different coil options, JL would offer them in different coil options!

You're really defeating the purpose of a W7 by using anything other than OEM softparts. I'd suggest buying a different amp and stick with the W7, or buying a different woofer.

If the W7 would function as intended with different coil options, JL would offer them in different coil options!

They don't offer a different coil configuration because they only want you running their amps! A w7 would function the exact same if it were dual 1.

actually, no it wouldn't function the same exact way.

because all different parts have a different tolerance.

small things will change things drastically in the thiele small parameters, which can alter the way the woofer plays, the output of the woofer, as well as power handling.

Now lets add to the fact that a guy that doesn't know how to do a drop in recone let alone know how to do a full one off built recone, nor knows what to measure and how to measure the multiple things that need to be measured, and what items get subtracted from what your looking at a huge failure.

That being said, an amp will work at 4 ohms, or 3 ohms or 1.5 ohms or .75 ohms or .66 ohms or .5 ohms

Granted all amps are not created equal, but wiring the woofer to .75 on a halfway decent monoblock with proper wiring/electrical backing the amplifier should be ok.

I noticed a place that sells new coils to change from dual 1.5 ohm coils to dual 1 ohm coils.. how hard is it to recone one? and is there a view or a diy walk through on the net somewhere?? SOunds like a good solution to run at 2ohms since that is where my amp is supposed to work at not 3 ohm..

anyone have any helpful thoughts or ideas? and i have searched and nothing on w7 other subs but not the w7 and i have no idea if they are different or not when putting in the new voice coil?

Those are not cheap subs, if the little experiment goes wrong you really don't want to know what it will cost you a proper recone from JL. If your amp won't work below stable impedance you can just get one that will, some crescendo audio for example.

OP, you would be better off either selling that sub for something different (plenty of options with the money you would get for that JL) or get a different amp that will handle running at .75 or 1.5 (plenty of affordable amps that will provide enough power to run that sub).

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Hey good answers guys and thanks for the honest responces.. the amp is an audison lrx 5.1K amp so its def a good amp, just trying to squeeze all I can from it thats all. If there is not a big difference in it, then I will just leave it alone.. I just know there is around 700watt difference 4 to 2 ohm for this amp.. so I figured around 300-400 watts difference at 3 ohm vs the 2 ohm load.

If I am off its quite ok.. Just random food for thought.. this is going in a 97 viper gts, and I have MB quart Q series 6.5's in the doors. I do however have a 12" alpine type x sitting in the garage too if it is a better choice for this car?

Or I can unload both and start over with subs.. I do have all winter to just build a sub box to install it.. so im in no rush.. just trying to get my ducks in a row! :)

Archived